Facts of life ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Facts of life ?

Post by Amber »

scarlett wrote:Might need to get DH to talk things over with DS2 now. He's started prancing around the house in my brassieres. :shock:
DS or DH?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:
scarlett wrote:Might need to get DH to talk things over with DS2 now. He's started prancing around the house in my brassieres. :shock:
DS or DH?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It is covered in quite some detail in PHSE or whatever it is called.

TV programmes or news storied are a very good way of raising issues sometimes - particularly to do with respect for girls etc.
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

DS...he wore my pj's recently too. Hmm. :shock:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If only we were in rehab...
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Unscary ....I think we have the low down on each others sons already ! :wink:
Y

Post by Y »

I know a girl who genuinely knew *nothing* in Year 7. I'm not sure whether this was a source of humiliation for her in the classroom when matters were discussed in lessons that year, but I wouldn't want to take the risk. Books are the easiest route, though there are some out there that you might not deem suitable. Though this is aimed at girls: 'The Period Book: Everything you don't want to ask (but need to know)' we found it gave the right amount of information, without going into any weird and wonderful practices. My son read it from cover to cover once my daughter relinquished it. He seems now to be without any embarrassment, even unpacking the shopping and putting certain female items away where he (quite reasonably) thought they should go. My daughter was a bit bemused to find items I swore blind I had bought her had disappeared!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Indeed scarlett (update later or tomorrow :D ).

Books I have seen recommended before (we don't have any of them, but maybe we should) are: Living with a W*lly by Nick Fisher, The Boys Body Book, What's happening to my body? and I think there is an Usborne book. Just have a look on Amazon. It's probably a good way to raise topics, and I'm not sure why we have never done it!
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I remember my DS2 ( a while ago ) asking what tampons were ...I just couldn't bring myself to tell him ...well, we were in a rather long queue at the supermarket ...so said they were heavy duty cotton wool buds. :shock: I'm afraid this leads to a bit of a theme, as a friend came over once and must have tried to flush the cardboard applicator away and DS2 huffily announced that someone had dropped a loo roll in the toilet and who was it, please ? Cue quite a few children all silently filing into the bathroom to take a look . :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

This was covered in Yr6 science at our school - boys indie prep.

Do remember DS2 at very young age talking about "those things you put in your shoes mummy" he had confused DH's trainer liners and my panty liners. :lol: :lol:
ginx

Post by ginx »

At our junior school, boys and girls have chat and film about their changing bodies, at end of year 5. End of year 6 I think they have a film about making babies. Can't put s * *!
In PSHE. Parents had the chance to pre-view the film. It was ok.

I think at the beginning of year 7, they had another film about the facts of life, in PSHE again. But I didn't know they were having one so was rather surprised when my dd started talking about her day and the film she had seen!

I don't know if our approach was right, but we told our dc about facts of life very young - I told them when they were in year 2. Very basically. Which reminds me, I suppose I ought to think about telling my ds2 who is in year 2 now! Sometime, anyway. I just drip fed.