Tablets - Nexus 7 v ipad mini v kindle fire HD

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Re: Tablets - Nexus 7 v ipad mini v kindle fire HD

Post by Looking for help »

We are an apple family and have them all , although I use a windows laptop.

I think though that although they are amazing gadgets and really lovely to look at they are hugely expensive for what they are. I am thinking about a tablet for myself and am leaning towards one of the other ones just to see if there really is a significant difference. The thing about ipads is that the 16GB one is too small, so by the time you move up to 32GB they really are crazy money. A nexus 7 32 GB is less than half the price. Is it a mini one though ? Oh it's all to confusing. I don't think I would like too small a screen as though then you might as well be looking at your phone.

Should I ?

I just don't know.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Looking for help wrote:A nexus 7 32 GB is less than half the price. Is it a mini one though ?
Its the mini one, the 10 inch is not out yet.

I finally managed to have a look at the Nexus today and I just didn't get a good vibe about it. Perhaps its been over hyped a bit, I don't know and I think I will give it a pass. The problem is most gadget reviewers are men and the things they care about aren't necessarily the things I care about.

Am still feeling the Samsung Galaxy Tab after seeing it again today but I am not sure about the white colour.

Copella, go and have a look in PCWorld, they actually had all of them next to each other so you can easily compare. I was a bit disappointed not to fall in love with the Nexus when I finally saw it today.
Impossible is Nothing.
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

After doing some research we have bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet for Christmas in the 10 inch size. Would rather have had an Ipad but just too expensive. There is a good offer at Tesco Direct at the moment with 20% off and £50 cashback from Samsung. I also thought that white was not ideal but reasoned that it will need a protective cover anyway and they come in a range of colours according to my research on Amazon!
copella

Post by copella »

I'm off work tomorrow so might just take up the suggestion to go to PCM world and look at them all next to each other. I thought in would get a more definitive answer but keep being swayed. The Samsung wasn't even on my list and now I'm looking up reviews of it!
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Can anyone tell me the differences in anti virus protection necessary between an ipad and the Samsung tablet?
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Copella, what did you settle for in the end?
copella

Post by copella »

I have gone where my heart is, ipad, although it pains me. I so want to be different, but i just love the way it looks and thought if I bought something else it would make me feel i had missed out or gone for something inferior, even though this probably wouldn't be the case.Also this is by the way the family Christmas present so I don't think in reality I will get to use it much as the boys will needless to say take it off and it will disappear in their rooms.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Sounds like the sensible choice as you have Mac etc.
I think you would have regretted 'being different'.
Have never understood that urge. Just get the things you want ;-)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Trouble is, I would like to buy the ipad (or mini) but can't justify (or afford) it!
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:Trouble is, I would like to buy the ipad (or mini) but can't justify (or afford) it!
IPod touch? I got one for DH a year or 2 ago and he loves it...podcasts all sorts of stuff on it, and can do everything else he wants to as well. (He does have a kindle for actual books). Plus it is highly portable. And his eyes still seem able to cope with the littleness of it all. We are an Apple family too and am typing this on my iPad...I can't imagine switching to anything else now. Someone mentioned anti-virus software and that really is the killer, isn't it, with all the other stuff - so clunky and noisy and slow?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now