Choosing a Primary School - local or distant?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NotionPotion

Re: Choosing a Primary School - local or distant?

Post by NotionPotion »

Think you have made the right decision. Have to agree with Mike 1880 I don't believe the "child with parental support will do anywhere" hogwash either. (as one who went to a rubbish school I know). The school you chose is essential. Thats why we're all on this forum. Good luck.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Um, I think you're right to stick with what you know and it sounds like you've certainly thought long and hard about it.

Change could upset your dc.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

This thread reminds me of the comments a Finnish colleague once made about her work experience as a teacher with parents here in the UK in comparison to home, Finland. Here, there seems to be a culture - (her words, 'educational snobbery') for dps to allow their dc to travel miles in order for them to be at a 'good/outstanding' primary school which simply isn't the case with dps in Finland. Children attend their local community school regardless, and still do remarkably well.

Every dp has their own personal circumstances so I'm not being personal. :) But I think she has a point though.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yep, we'd all go to school in Finland if we could, but it really is just that bit too far.
um

Post by um »

As a society, Finland is far less stratified and class-divided, though.
Amber

Post by Amber »

um wrote:As a society, Finland is far less stratified and class-divided, though.
Finland is a fascinating case; for anyone really interested, start here http://www.pasisahlberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

It's very interesting to me that English politicians dismiss Finnish educational success as anomalous, attributing it variously to the ease of the Finnish language to learn, to the relative stability of the population and even the weather! Gove prefers to look east for the 'secrets of success', because it suits his purposes to call on 'traditional Asian values' (hard work, tradition, 'the basics') than traditional Finnish ones (freedom, late school start, highly professionalised teachers).

Glad you have reached a decision you are happy with Um.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now