Should I Say Something ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scarlett

Should I Say Something ?

Post by scarlett »

Would like some advice regarding my DS2 please . He's in year 6 , passed the 11 plus and a solid level 5 for reading and maths. I've encouraged him since September to take his foot off the pedal a bit , relax and take advantage of a few health days before secondary school beckons. He worked so hard in the run up to his 11 plus and isn't a lazy child .

The problem is, his teacher has mentioned to me that she needs to " crack the whip " :shock: with him and he needs to start working on his writing and doing extra at home .....she went on and on to him about going up a sub level each term and reaching the dizzy heights of about 100 by Spring...in time for the sats I wonder ?

In response, DS has become quite tearful and asking me over and over how can he possibly reach these targets ? I feel quite cross , as he is a 4a in writing...surely will be a level 5 by the time he leaves and the grammar he is going to , recognises that boys are often a bit slower coming on with their literacy and take things right back to basics when they start. DS1 was exactly the same and he has really picked up .

Do you think I need to continue to push him..it is in the back of my mind that he was ( apparently ) on some kind of secret service " watch list " for SEN in year 3 ..so is he likely to slip back, are his levels now just indicative of extra work at one point in time or will he be fine just tootling along ?

Also, there are only a handful of children who will probably reach even level 4 in his class ..it's not a particularly bright cohort..do you think the sats results could be behind this ? Should I mention his worries to his teacher ( who is a great teacher and lovely )or just tell DS not to worry ?

Plus I need to concentrate on DD now !
mystery

Re: Should I Say Something ?

Post by mystery »

The writing task is not externally marked any more; I thought the writing grade at the end of year 6 is all done by teacher assessment now.

Going up a sub-level each term is going it a bit. That would mean 6 points per annum progress which would be stellar. 3 points per annum is "national expectations". (3b to 4b is 6 points, 4b to 5b is 6 points etc).

I don't quite understand why he should need to do extra writing at home if he doesn't want to. He's at school all day every day - surely he can do loads of writing at school in that time if that's what she needs in the books for a good teacher assessment. And what use is writing done at home - you might have done it yourself or purchased it off the internet.

Is it a very small year group? If he gets a high level 5 will it significantly affect the average point score for the whole year group? If not, I can't think that it can be about results.

As a school they will need to show that at a minimum he has gone up 2 full levels since KS1. Sublevels don't count in this respect. So 2a to 4c would I think be OK. What did he get for writing at KS1? At 4a he's probably already achieved the minimum progress they need hasn't he?

Maybe she just thought he needed a pep-talk but didn't realise that this would bother your son so much. I would speak to her, just to say that he's feeling upset about being given targets that he is worried he cannot attain. Has she told him what he actually needs to do to improve his writing, in a way that he can understand? Just talking NC levels isn't going to mean much to him is it?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I would let him relax a little and enjoy being at primary school. As we all know SATs are mainly for the school and their league tables. I laughed out loud when it was suggested that DS2 and his classmates revise for their SATs, an then sent him out to play :lol:
scary mum
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

I noticed in my sons class that most of the boys got a level 4 for writing two years ago in their year 6 SATs. This didn't surprise me as my son's writing did need to improve, but he excelled in other subjects so I wasn't worried. In his first year at GS one or two teachers commented on his writing. But NOW, just out of the blue, his writing style has suddenly changed, and it is so neat and tidy! I'm amazed! So, I wouldn't worry too much about his writing, it will probably develop for the better in time. :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Scarlett - sounds like SATS anxst.

best ignored - DD was a prep where she did the 11 plus in September and got the results in October - she wasn't do any indie exams as GS place was assured so she did........ not a lot really for the rest of the year ... well actually lots of fun things etc etc and had a great time... plenty of time for slog at GS
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks Mystery. He was a level 1 for his key stage 1 sats :shock: .....so has definitely exceeded expectations! Feel we have covered writing quite a lot at home, over the past few years.

His teacher gave the impression it was to bring his writing up to the same level as everything else. The thing is, he used to love writing stories and is very imaginative, but is now put off with all the structuring. Surely the correct punctuation will come. All of mine write a good story..but are a bit lax with grammar etc. Must be in DH genes.

The class is tiny...10 with only about 3 a level 5....about half of the class might not reach a 4b.

Thanks also, Unscary and Herman.... I do feel the same..but in the back of my mind I am thinking..will he be okay at grammar, I suppose. I don't want him to feel rubbish either, which has happened over the years. I think out of all of mine, he needs nurturing and reassurance...he's a worrier! I want him to still feel invincible, like he did after he passed! DD is now going into his classroom for extension work and he's beginning to feel a bit unworthy again :(

Pumpkin.....my DS1 was only a 4b when he went to grammar..high level 5 for everything else...so I just think they pick up later..he's very lazy which translates into his 2 line essays :roll: DS2 tries so hard so I feel a bit sorry for him.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ha, with ten in the class, if he makes it from level 1 at KS1 to level 5 at KS2 the school is going to have a great value added score I guess. Or are they hoping for a level 6 from him?

If you feel there is anything to be done with the writing I'd focus on what you feel would best prepare him for grammar and leave the SATS focus to the teacher. Maybe he needs a purpose and an audience to spruce up the way he expresses himself. Sign him up to EPE and we can correct his posts for him.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

:lol: DS1 likes to read certain threads and has asked to reply sometimes..so not such a strange idea!

DS2 teacher did mentioned level 6 maths paper. I asked for him not to take it as he would just worry and panic. He mentioned it about a dozen times just walking home from school. DS1 took the maths level 6 but on the other hand, didn't give a toss about his levels. ..which is how it should be. I told his teacher it was just an accolade for the school and not helpful for DS. She was fine with that.

I think maybe I'll just encourage more reading.

Look out for pms from my DSs now, Mystery :P
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Hi scarlett, I am in the scary mum/Hermanmunster camp.

I have told DD2 that she is on an early gap year, earned from all her hard work in GS prep, and to just enjoy the year.
She has her own goals that she wants to achieve while at primary, and as long as she stays fairly on track I am happy with that. Obviously DC's need to start GS in a good place, but if they got passed the 11+ (without being shoe horned in) they should be on course generally.

I do not feel that DD2's primary has much interest in her (or had in DD1's) future education, so I certainly will not entertain pushing her for their benefit if that situation ever occurs, and would take great pleasure in telling them so.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

suppose it made it easier for DDs school as they did not so SATS so no pressure at that point - some of the kids were doing indie exams until late January but after that it was free for all (well not free really - there were still fees/..)