Nativity

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fran17

Re: Nativity

Post by Fran17 »

Oh my goodness, reading all your stories has made me think I should be grateful that those days are behind me. I loved them at the time but I always found some people seemed to forget about good manners whilst watching their little darlings. We have experienced people standing up in front of us and talking when their child wasn't performing. One Mum told me that she offered to help every year so she could sneak into the hall and put hats, coats and bags on some of the chairs in the front row in order to reserve them. :roll:

Having said this I wouldn't have missed them for the world. One of my favourite memories was the Playgroup nativity just before my middle DS started school. The little lad playing Joseph got a bit carried away with rocking the crib and it seemed as though the doll in it was going to come flying out at any moment.

As for taking the odd photo, I don't see any harm in that but people videoing in front of you is very annoying. At my sons' school parents were asked to video from the back of the hall so they did not obstruct anyone's view.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I did shamelessly push to the front of the hall when dd was in reception and was Mary. Well, I had spent the last four years having to ask someone else if the child speaking was mine, because I couldn't see. She proceeded to yank Joseph onto the stage by his collar and stood there for five minutes berating him for being too slow. He then decided to wind her up further by undressing Jesus and swing him up in the air by his ankles. :shock: That was one year I could have done with hiding at the back.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

scarlett wrote:I did shamelessly push to the front of the hall when dd was in reception and was Mary. Well, I had spent the last four years having to ask someone else if the child speaking was mine, because I couldn't see. She proceeded to yank Joseph onto the stage by his collar and stood there for five minutes berating him for being too slow. He then decided to wind her up further by undressing Jesus and swing him up in the air by his ankles. :shock: That was one year I could have done with hiding at the back.
:lol: Typical, the first time you get a seat at the front and......

OT a bit but I hate it when you go to the Theatre and the people in front of you keep shifting in their seats and moving their head from side to side forcing you to do the same. People with big hair that gets in the way. :shock: People who insist on cuddling up to one another, completely restricting your view. :x
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Take a big stick with you next time, Frannie...one with a hook......

Children kicking your seat constantly at the cinema really annoys me....they're always the ones who start crying because the film is inappropriate and you then have the back of your seat pushed in whilst they are taken out..and then brought back in....then taken out.... :evil:
JRM

Post by JRM »

dlb wrote:Ridiculous rules about "no photography" have really really really irritated me today!!!! DC no.3 was Mary in the School Nativity. (DC1 never wanted to be in any plays and always helped behind scenes, DC2 never got picked for any parts because 2 or 3 theatrical girls/singers etc always got the parts) .Therefore, quite excited about seeing one of my kids main stage and singing a solo!!!!Then told no photos allowed by the head. Obviously, I ignored this and took loads of pictures (no flash on) and very discrete. Got told off after play (not as discrete as i thought!) and then big email went round from school to all the parents afterwards about how parents were told NOT to take photos but many did. Told that we had to delete all photos from our cameras and phones!! But the reason being that we needed to respect the parents who didn't want their children's photos taken!! I had already argued the point that these parents were a minority and that the majority of parents DID want some pictures of their children! I suggested that those parents who didn't want their children photographed in groups should not be given parts in communal school plays/nativities/assembleys and that the majority of us could then take photos! They thought I was joking and all laughed! To be honest, I think so long as we sign something to say we are using the photos for personal use and not to go on the internet/facebook etc then that should be fine!!! I don't see why a parent can't take a photo of their own child!!!! Grrrrrr. Rant over. Anyway, Mary was lovely, baby Jesus appeared to be a bit smothered at times (!) and one of the 3 kings fainted. Brilliant though!! I just love Xmas!!!!!!!
I do know what you are saying, and I think that I read some advice from the law society saying that you can't be stopped taking pictures of your own child as long as they are for private use.

But just for a minute, put yourself in the shoes of a the parents of that vulnerable child. Should they really not be allowed to join in any school play? Surely you could enjoy your child's performance and then take a nice staged photo at the end? I think I used to think these rules were silly, but now I've met several children that have very good reasons for not having their photos taken it doesn't bother me at all.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

I guess I felt and still feel similar to dlb.

I think most parents would like a picture or two and that its a minority of parents that seem to be unfairly throwing their weight around.
I still do not get the privacy thing. I feel a lot of parents say no just because they are asked the question on a consent form.
It might sound harsh, but I think if its that big a deal to a small number of parents, they should just do not allow their DC to take part in one off events.

I guess not having people being annoying with cameras is good thing. Although that is just people being rude and unreasonable, and a separate issue to actually being able to take a photo.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

JRM wrote: But just for a minute, put yourself in the shoes of a the parents of that vulnerable child. Should they really not be allowed to join in any school play? Surely you could enjoy your child's performance and then take a nice staged photo at the end? I think I used to think these rules were silly, but now I've met several children that have very good reasons for not having their photos taken it doesn't bother me at all.
Turning that the other way around. I would find it odd if it were just one child in a school with a genuine issue, which caused every other parent to not be able to take a photo of their DC at any event.
JRM

Post by JRM »

But I get a photo at the end. It can be managed appropriately. What am I actually missing out on if I don't have a photo taken at that exact second in time?

If you are looking at it as a balancing question, I would say that the possibility of 3 children being able to fully participate in the life of the school is definitely worth the other 200 parents waiting 5 minutes to take a photo. Especially when you add to that equation the bonuses of no flashing, screens etc. etc.

Live life now, rather than watching it through a screen and worrying about the photos.
I promise to shut up now, sorry if I've repeated myself.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I never took any photos at the nativity plays - just enjoyed the event at the time, there really is no need for people to endlessly video stuff - when are they going to watch it!?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I rarely video anything anymore, it is never as good as you remember it being.