Is there anything on here about key stage one?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Re: Is there anything on here about key stage one?

Post by yoyo123 »

it is also useful as an intervention, I am still using it in y5 and 6 and it is proving very effective. The children who are 9 and 10 now didn't do it in EY/KS1. I can see a difference in the children now in Y2 and Y3.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes delivered well it is good. But I know of at least two schools round here that do not. They need training in how to deliver a good programme well and it would transform reading and spelling very early on.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

But, just because some don't do it well doesn't mean that it is not a good programme. You don't seem to have much luck with the schools around you Mystery!
mystery

Post by mystery »

No - kent is definitely patchy. That ofsted report that placed kent low in their rankings seemed to ring true in some respects.

Yes letters and sounds is not bad if delivered well, but it is more guidance rather than a programme so it's a lot of effort for a teacher to turn it into something which will work really well and not leave the usual 2o percent or so struggling a bit with learning to read or spell. There are some programmes which deliver more and better with less legwork for the teacher, but at a price of course.
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Hi all, just checking in - feeling quite sad that 'infants' is drawing to a close for us and ds will be going into year 3 in September. It's been a lovely few years but he's growing too fast (and starting to get a bit too cheeky!!). He learnt his first 'swear' word last week - 'flip' and has been using it ever since!

School report should be in next week - still none the wiser re; NC levels (no SATS at his school). I think he is doing well in maths but still not much progress with writing (slow writer, can't get ideas down quickly, loses focus). He enjoys reading 'factual' books and reads fiction with me or as his school book.
We're going to have a good rest over the summer hols and then will start to 'knuckle down'.
What are your plans for summer?
ginx

Post by ginx »

After all my worries, my son got 3s in everything! Still doesn't read though. Now it is summer, he is out 5am till bed playing outside.

Proud of him but as his 3 jealous siblings pointed out, these results really don't matter. GCSE results are far more important,
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now