Dog cages

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
StJamesDad

Dog cages

Post by StJamesDad »

We are due to get a dog this year. Medium size, probably a cockapoo or springer spaniel.

DW is keen on getting a cage to put him in at night (and when we are out I guess).
She knows people who have them and swear by them. Apparently the dog/s are happy to use them.

I find the idea of caging up a dog wrong and cannot see how he will feel part of the family if we do it.

Anyone else do this already?
neurotic kent mum

Re: Dog cages

Post by neurotic kent mum »

I think you really need one for a puppy as then you know when you are asleep or out that they are safe. Otherwise they can eat cables, any food they can reach etc. And Tbh they do seem to like the security. It also signals bedtime so hopefully you get a good night's sleep. Oh and limits the 'accidents' to one area!
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Thanks nkm.
Yes I can see there are lots of advantages.
I guess I/we would just have to make the effort to ensure it was used wisely.
One of us is generally around so it would be mainly a bedtime thing.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

We have a Welsh Terrier, so just slightly smaller than what you're thinking of. He has a 3'x2' (i think) crate, which gives him loads of room - it is his bed, and is very comfy in there! It is under the stairs (open) so in the hallway - if we had somewhere more out of the way I'd rather put it there, but we don't. It has a blanket over the top as he seems to like having a 'den', and we flip the blanket down at the front when he's gone to bed. He often goes in it to sleep in the day (also has a bed in the corner of the living room).

We don't use it now when we go out, but up to a year or more he was always in there when we weren't around, for his safety and our peace of mind. His mum had a crate, and sort of a play pen for the puppies, so he has always been used to it, and has slept in it from his first night with us - just outside our bedroom door! (I will always remember him waking up that night, me letting him out of the crate, he did a wee on the newspaper by it, then went back in, curled up and went straight back to sleep - any qualms I may have had about crating him disappeared then!)

I think of it as his bedroom - if he's in there no one bothers him. Doesn't make him any less part oyster family :-)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Get a cat instead. No crate needed. :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber, we are on the same wavelenght again, I was about to say the same! No picking up dog mess either :lol:
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:Amber, we are on the same wavelenght again, I was about to say the same! No picking up dog mess either :lol:
Yeah well, from my experiences at a local beauty spot on New Year's Day, I would say that there are plenty of dog owners who don't worry too much about that one anyway. But I am sure no-one on here would be that anti-social. :wink:
ginx

Post by ginx »

I would love to have a dog and enjoy dog-sitting my mum's dog. Ruby (called Ruby because she has a red hint in her fur) is a small labrador, very good. She has a cage, kept outside now. When she was younger she had a cage kept in the kitchen, with her bed in it, and some water, and she seemed happy to stay in there.

She then started choosing to sleep in there when the door was left open.

We always pick up dog poo. It's disgusting stuff.

I'm quite jealous you're getting a dog. We're nearly always here and could take her on holiday with us. When we dog sit, the kids are brilliant about dog walking. When my teenage son gets in a strop, he just gets Ruby and takes her for a walk. I find her a tie if I want to go out for the day. We have neighbours who will let her out. We seem to live in Dog Walker Road as our road ends at a field and goes on to some good country walks, so it's a good way to make new friends. I'd quite like a dog, when the kids are older as some kids are scared of dogs.

StJamesDad, a cockerpoo is the dog I'd choose. They seem lovely. Enjoy!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

we tried hard to crate our large dog (Alaskan Malamute) when we got her as a puppy. She hated it and howled/pooed/weeed in it. The breeder and other owners advised us to persevere as she would give in eventually - most do love their dens. Ours didn't and after far too many sleepless nights, even with earplugs, we gave in and let her sleep in with us. Peace from that moment on - apart from when she has running dreams and scrabbles on the skirting board. It was not ideal as we had been trying to keep her downstairs - big puppies shouldn't do things like climb stairs while their hips develop - but we had to do something. She is also a chewer of plastic and paperbacks. Luckily we have a large hall/stairs/landing which we leave her in with toys when we are out - if we let her in to any rooms while we are out we'd have no remotes or books left. She is now 2 1/2 so this is probably as good as its going to get. We plan to get another puppy this year and will try again with a crate for him as the 2 dogs will need their own seperate places.
I'd certainly try to use one for a puppy - its useful for simple things like being able to leave the front door open while you pack the car.
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

I agree that dog cages can be very useful and the dog can really see them as a safe, secure place to retreat to. They are also very useful if you have young children to visit who are scared of dogs, as a way of introducing them without the 'fear'. One of the biggest advantages to us was using it in the car - dog safe in one place, no chance of jumping out when you open door, no need for backseat bars, etc.

Our dog died last year and I have kept ours in garage....just in case.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now