Changes in Child Benefit.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JRM

Re: Changes in Child Benefit.

Post by JRM »

She must have just not come across it then - I'm not that old!!
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Marylou wrote:
Loopyloulou wrote: This puts me in something of a quandry. Perhaps I should give up child benefit voluntarily? But I am not that public-spirited.
Don't feel guilty, LLL - our children are all going to be screwed over financially if they go to university in this country :evil: (effectively paying tax of at least 50% if they ever get to be higher earners) so anything coming their way in the earlier years can always be saved and put to good use later on in their lives. The stunts being pulled by this government at the moment are enough to make anyone think twice about voluntarily giving up anything!
Feel the same. Its swings and roundabouts.
I always thought it odd that high earners received the benefit, but the system/country is so messed up that I am annoyed we are losing it.
moved

Post by moved »

Famille nombreuse. It is cheaper to travel with three children than with two. The more children you have, the more your benefit increases. Five children and you get a medal from the mayor!

This refers to the comment about France.
2littleboysmum

Post by 2littleboysmum »

Oh the happy days of living in Deutschland (not as an ex-pat, but as a dependent of a BFG [British Forces Germany] soldier, no fraudulent claiming here!). The German government topped up our child benefit to the tune of nearly 200 euros a month, so as to be in line with them. How I long for a Germany posting, sniff, sob...
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Cor, they never did that when we lived there!! Mind you, the exchange rate was over 8 marks to the pound then :D
daughter

Post by daughter »

Regarding topping up NI contributions http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20996912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Details of the government's plans to introduce a flat-rate pension by 2017 - equivalent to £144 per week in today's money - have emerged ahead of an official announcement next week.
The self-employed and some women could benefit from the changes to pensions.
Some groups, including women who have been in and out of the workforce due to motherhood, part-time workers and carers, will gain.
Many women, and the self-employed, are currently penalised for not making full national insurance contributions."

I think I will stick to not topping up my NI fund - hoping my well educated (!?!) children will help me in my old age!!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

thanks for the link daughter, just doing battle with the "government gateway" to get accurate figures for us ... TBH some of the higher levels in online games are easier to access!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now