Dog cages

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Re: Dog cages

Post by scarlett »

Reading mum...we had the same problem with our boxer. He came from the RSPCA as a teenager and would just get really distressed when left alone. He sleeps in our bedroom until we stir and then he climbs in for a cuddle....a big no no, I'm sure but we all like it. He also scrabbles about when dreaming coupled with a funny woof woof howling. Good job I wear heavy duty earplugs.

Those with cats....perhaps you could pass the message on that it really isn't acceptable to keep depositing a huge mess right outside my back door. Most annoying in the dark. Now, where's my water pistol.....
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Those with cats....perhaps you could pass the message on that it really isn't acceptable to keep depositing a huge mess right outside my back door. Most annoying in the dark. Now, where's my water pistol.....
To defend the feline population of Kent, it might be a fox, cats usually bury it, as far as I know. Poor you, though, scarlett. Kepp wearing the miners' helmet with the lamp on it so you can see what you are about to tread in (shall I be daring and post a picture?)
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

And again, scary...was about to say the same thing, they bury it. Usually in someone else's garden if they have been well-trained. :wink:

We met a couple who were on their honeymoon in Italy and missed their dog (German shepherd) in bed with them so much they went home early. Couldn't sleep. Which has to be the daftest reason ever for not getting enough sleep on your honeymoon, surely.
Ally

Post by Ally »

We've got a 4yrs old cocker spaniel. It seems that most breeders recommend a crate as it's easier to house train the pup. My OH wasn't keen on the idea of a dog in a "cage". But four years on, we're still using the crate, which lives in the space by the back door. Our cocker loved his crate from the moment he got home as really views it as he safe place. He's not been destructive, so can easily be trusted to have run of the kitchen, lounge, dinning room, but when we're out or at night he's in his crate.

It's difficult to predict what size crate you'll need for a Cockerpoo as they vary completely in size being a crossbreed, If you're looking at getting a Springer, then you'd need quite a large crate as it recommended that the crate is large enough to fit a fully grown dog. You can get mesh dividers so that you can reduce the amount of space the pup has initially as they don't like to mess in their bed.

Might be worth looking at the prices on Ebay, as high street pet shops tend to be really expensive.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Thanks guys, cage it is then ;-)

Np with picking up No.2's. Except I have see cow pats with No.2's on. I assumed it was dogs? But maybe it was those naughty fox's.

You cat guys are funny. Trying to frame the fox's :lol:
Or that they dig a hole and bury it nicely :roll:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Apart from the fact I am a bit of an expert in identifying animal droppings :) I have spent many an evening with ds2 watching the nightlife in our garden. I know for a fact it is a cat who does his business outside our back door. A hideous looking ginger tom. Ring any bells Unscary and Amber? Perhaps he had forgotten his trowel that night. The fox does his business on some steps, the badger right next to my car and the hedgehog in the dogs water bowl. Think the Kent wildlife must have some kind of vendetta against the Scarlett household.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We've never had a cage for any of our dogs (currently on a black labrador aged 11 .......... and counting :D ).

I've always been really lucky and not had a 'chewer', although Woody (current one) did have a penchant for underwear and we couldn't leave the dirty washing basket about :roll: . We've managed with stair gates to keep him downstairs and it's worked very well, although he does come upstairs and plonks himself right on the stair turn, which is incredible as he's a big dog and the stairs are narrow and steep, but he manages to sleep there for hours, until he decides to trundle off back downstairs and wakes me up running round chasing goodness knows what, whilst I listen earnestly in case it's burglars :shock: :lol:

I can imagine crates are very good for most dogs, but I do know of a Jack Russell who was an escape artist and managed to get out of the cage he was ensconced in very easily :lol: AND he's a chewer - big time :( thankfully he's not mine :D
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

My dog also sleeps on the turn of the stairs - that way she can keep an eye on everything upstairs and down. I have seen pictures of crates after an escape - can be quick shocking. Mine just destroyed the plastic tray so had to replace with a metal one, and its a very sturdy crate as its 42" long. It weighs a ton. We also have a fabric one for camping as we were worried she'd escape from the tent in the night - somehow she can undo the zip from the inside so its not that secure but as long as we are there too she doesn't bother and it stops her going for a wander and standing on us in the night.
mrsmum

Post by mrsmum »

We also have had great success with a crate. Our DS was quite young when we got the dog as a puppy; we hold him the crate was the dogs space, no humans allowed - and she still retreats in there when things get too lively for her! Great for when nervous kids visit. We take our crate (metal) camping too - the dog is safe in it for the journey, we pack everything around it in the boot then use it to contain her in the tent - oh and it doubles as a table in the tent too! No end of uses. When the house is empty she always goes in there to sleep (and if she's really tired, doesn't even bother getting out to say hello when we come back). Bought ours secondhand on ebay from a seller who was just a couple of miles away and it has been worth every penny, several times over!
bravado

Post by bravado »

Before having our current Labrador (we've had 4 in total), I always felt cages were a bit cruel but I've been converted.

We initially purchased our huge cage to transport some of our young livestock but 2 years later I was conned into having our current Labrador, who is, I must admit, the best-behaved one I've ever had, and it was so useful. Knowing to my cost, that Labrador puppies can be very destructive, we resurrected the cage from the garage and it became his home. He went in it with a shut-door approach when very tiny - his cage was in the living room so that he didn't feel isolated and knew he was a big part of the family. It seemed to provide him with a sense of security and in the end, the door was permanently open when we were in the house and he'd often go in there of his own accord. We also used it when we went on holiday - he would go in it in the car when we went out and about and then when we got back in the cottage, he had his own little bit of "home". He loved his cage and we were very sad to see it relegated to the garage again when he grew too big and we wanted our living room back again :D

I'm a total convert to the concept of cages.