Part time teaching and additional duties

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ourmaminhavana

Part time teaching and additional duties

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Hi,
I've recently re entered the classroom, but on a part time basis and have little idea what is a reasonable expectation. I am employed for 52% of the week spread over three days. I have been asked to attend assemblies, mentor two children's reading for half an hour each per week and am probably going to be asked to man the library one break. Of course, I'll also attend department meetings during another break time.
Having only ever taught full time, I've no idea if this sounds right or not? I'd be grateful to hear from others in a similar situation.
Mindset

Re: Part time teaching and additional duties

Post by Mindset »

Hi,

I've been in this position. I think at 52% you can reasonably be expected to do half what a full timer would do. So assuming you're delivering half the standard lessons and have half 'frees', you might do half the occasional cover a colleague might.

I'd be surprised though if a full time colleague were expected to mentor reading for 4x 30mins, and manning the library for 2 breaks. Can you check? Or are these in lieu of pastoral responsibilities (form tutoring etc?) If so, be very clear what and why... I used to do something similar but then was asked to cover form time as well. I think the key is being clear what their expectation is and why, from the outset if you can.

Schools certainly get their money's worth from part timers! At one stage I was on 15% timetable and still did a break duty. I joked that I should only do that 1/7 of the year... But it was only half in jest!

Hopefully your employer is as flexible to you as they want you to be... I'm incredibly lucky like this. M
Last edited by Mindset on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I am not the best person to advise as I tend to do far more than my allotted hours,

but I do work in primary where everyone tends to do everything - it;s not unheard of to find members of the SLT mopping up the boy's toilets!

Having said that I have worked in my school for over 6 years now and feel I am helping out friends, plus with my children all grown up it's a good excuse to avoid housework at home.

Make sure you do get breaks. Part timers often miss out on prep time and in larger schools the supply or part timers can get exploited. Be friendly but firm!

as an aside - as a supply teacher I once did 4 playground duties in a week as I moved from class to class..
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks, I think it's partly as I've had no induction and there's no HOD to go through things with and I'm only there three, long mornings. If I wasn't experienced I wouldn't be able to hack it at all. Must admit it's very hard going, but gets me back in. :shock:
moved

Post by moved »

yoyo123 wrote:as an aside - as a supply teacher I once did 4 playground duties in a week as I moved from class to class..
I noted that every day I did supply always coincided with break duty!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Any ideas as to whether I get paid for attending training days- or indeed am obliged to attend them- when I'm not employed on that day?
moved

Post by moved »

I only went to those on days when I was working.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks, are people OK about that?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I didn't have to attend training days if they fell on one of my days off, but I do know of one school that insisted on part-time learning support attending, for example, two inset days if they worked two days a week, irrespective of whether or not they worked that day.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

as far as I can remember you only have to do the number of training days pro rata, if it's an important one my headteacher pays for us to go, but that doesn't always apply. Might be worth checking out what your union guidelines are for part time teaching.