News reporting

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
StJamesDad

News reporting

Post by StJamesDad »

Anyone else find news reporting of disasters a bit (very) distasteful?

Was watching the dreadful helicopter accident in London on BBC breakfast.
As is usually the case, the presenters seem obsessed with getting as much gore out of eyewitnesses as possible.

When there is a large disaster they love updating the casualty figures when they go up, but sound disappointed when they go down :?

My heart goes out to those involved in todays events.
hermanmunster

Re: News reporting

Post by hermanmunster »

trouble is these days with 24 hr rolling news channels they have to fill the time with something . disasters are fast moving and saves them having to report on a new record by David Bowie or whatever it was last week that was headline news.

What we really need is "here is the news and this is Alvar Liddell reading it" ... there follows about 5 minutes of news (not speculation or prediction).
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Yes, from the BBC at least. Should be more shipping forecast than Eastenders.
They are getting more like Sky News every day!

News 24 is a nightmare, but it was Susannah Reid on breakfast that was prompting an eyewitness.
Given the situation, the answer to the question she asked seemed pretty obvious from the picture on screen.

Just tell us the news, then update the figures/details when the facts are known.
Last edited by StJamesDad on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh the number of times I've shouted at the screen during the news and other programmes when they give us an estimate /their thoughts on something and not what actually is!

Did a quick check with OH this morning as he's in London for three days this week working, all's fine thankfully, but my heart goes out to those involved.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm watching it now and the reporter is positively salivating about the damaged crane which may also collapse...of course if you look at the camera at the end with a grave face and talk about "tragic circumstances" then that makes it OK...

I get very angry with the sensationalism
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now