Transition to secondary school - a discussion.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

secondtime

Re: Transition to secondary school - a discussion.

Post by secondtime »

Make sure they know that the big red man is not real :shock:!

Sexeducation seems a bit lacking in primary schools now due to funding cuts.
I am also reliably informed that all the girls wear a bra at our local grammar and one girl was teased endlessly last year because she was the only one in a 'cropped top'! I only have boys at seniors so I have that one to consider myself this year when my DD starts. :roll:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I am also reliably informed that all the girls wear a bra at our local grammar and one girl was teased endlessly last year because she was the only one in a 'cropped top'!
My Year 6 DD still wears a vest and I can't see her wearing a bra in the foreseeable future. They must look very silly wearing a bra if there's nothing there.
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

KS10 - my thought exactly!

My DD doesn't wear anything at the moment - just her polo shirt. She is really sporty and has absolutely nothing there. How bemusing!
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

I now have a year 8 and can remember those early days well!!!

My suggestions are as follows:

Year 7 is a huge learning curve for them so be extremely patient.

1) They will lose everything in at least their first two terms. If this gets too much or frequent, suggest they pay for replacements as this has a wonderful effect on improving responsibility (something backed up by other parents) but obviously it depends on what it is. A contribution or jobs around the house may be more appropriate if it is expensive.

2) Limit research on websites to one or two reliable ones. Otherwise, they can browse literally for hours, from one to another, without actually getting anything down.

3) Their homework is their own. Encourage them to do it as soon as they get in if possible. Give them guidance if they're really stuck or tips on how to go about it but let them do it. Note the word guidance. Get them into a system of prioritising according to when it needs to be in by.

4) Review their outside activities very soon with a view of dropping one, if necessary and then review again when in Year 7 when you know how much homework they're getting. If appropriate, cut frequency of a club to fortnightly so they don't feel they're dropping it but it becomes a balancing exercise. Do not cut out all clubs too quickly though, hence 'review' and 'consider'.

5) Timetable their morning routine before they leave the house to every 5 or 10 minutes, if necessary, especially if they're not very motivated or quick in the mornings.

6) Pack clothes and school bags the night before.

This difficult time for all does not last long though. You'll be amazed at how quickly they pick it up and how independent they suddenly become. Good luck.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Secondtime - you beat me to it regarding Mr FC. In a silmilar vein, don't forget to mention about the tooth fairy.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Ah - I hadn't understood the reference to the big red man. DD still believes - or at least has not seen the benefit in admitting that she doesn't. Given the near hysteria she worked herself into when she couldn't get to sleep on Christmas eve I suspect the former

Ditto the tooth fairy
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD knows all about Mr C and the tooth fairy, though it didn't stop her expecting the tooth fairy to visit last week and the week before when teeth fell out (3 in the space of 2 weeks) :roll:
The comment about s e x education is quite true, they had 'the talk' in year 5 and I tried to talk to her after to see what had been said and if she understood. She didn't say much and seemed reluctant to say anything so I didn't push, just tried at a later date, when she still claimed not to know anything. Thinking she didn't want a 'discussion' with mum, I gave her a book to read. We talked after she read it to see what she understood.
Upshot of this was it wasn't her not wanting to talk to me because she didn't want to or felt embarrassed, it seems she genuinely didn't know stuff I expected them to have told her. Sorted that now thankfully, and I'm happier that she will talk to me after all.

As for bras, she isn't going to need one yet, maybe a year or two. I was a late developer and was 15 before needing one, my sister needed one at 12. We both got a bit of stick for it at school.
mystery

Post by mystery »

What book did you give her and would you recommend it?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The little book of growing up by Vic Parker.
I think its good for 10 year olds or about that age, as it focuses on how their bodies change and what to expect. There's nothing on relationships as such, so about right for younger girls. I seem to remember it has good approach to body image too, along the lines of 'you will be the right size for you'.

Had good reviews on that well known book selling site.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I was thinking all sorts of things about the big red man and thought it had something to do with s e x education :oops: :oops:
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now