Transition to secondary school - a discussion.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Transition to secondary school - a discussion.

Post by Amber »

StJamesDad wrote:She still writes a Santa list and puts the pot out for Fairy Sarah, so I think its an ideal situation :D
Wise child - hedging her bets.

Fairy Sarah?? Does she have a weak bladder?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I would not actively break it to DD - she will just work it out when she is ready and has spent the last few years knowing that some (with older siblings) don't believe so I don't think she will be teased. I hope not.

DD can't stand radio 1 because of all the rubbish they spout and the pointless 'games' but is thoroughly indoctrinated with 6 Music - different rubbish spouted but the music is better :)
If there is no ipod in the car she makes me listen to R3
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

ds1 does that too - I'm pretty sure he doesn't believe, but he's not admitting it (to us) in case the supply of presents dries up as a result! Amongst friends I suspect it's a different story.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Amber wrote:
StJamesDad wrote:She still writes a Santa list and puts the pot out for Fairy Sarah, so I think its an ideal situation :D
Wise child - hedging her bets.

Fairy Sarah?? Does she have a weak bladder?
Hi Amber

DD or Fairy Sarah? Why do you ask?
Amber

Post by Amber »

You put a pot out for her.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Amber wrote:You put a pot out for her.
Oh yes lol

I guess not then as she only ever put cash in it.
Would have been a bit of a shocker for DD if she had spent a penny rather than a pound :shock:
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I'm prepared to make all sorts of sacrifices for my children, but Radio 1 in the car is just beyond me. I told them for years that the radio in the car only got R4 :lol: But seriously, I do think worrying about their music taste may be taking helicopter-parenting too far!

I'm not sure we did that much preparation with my 3, and they hadn't even been at primary school, lol. DS got the most I guess, but he asks the most questions. He also went to a Literacy/PE club the secondary school ran for a few weeks at the end of the summer term, so by the end of that he had the journey sussed out.

A phone call from a phone box costs 60p now btw. And you can also do reverse charge from your mobile if you don't have credit - costs the parent a couple of quid - worth having the information on that to hand. Dd2 also has a deal with hers that she can get a free text sent to me asking me to call her if she doesn't have credit, which is pretty handy.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I keep hearing that you can load a GPS tracker onto dc's mobile phones these days, so you can know where they are at all times! :lol: is this an urban myth/too big brother, or a jolly good idea? I did wonder who would be bothered to look at all, but knowing how often I am on this forum, now I know!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

In theory it is doable.
iPhones have the Find your friends app, which allows me to see where DH is and whether he has left work yet. :lol: of course you both need iPhones/iPads for that.

Not giving my DD an iPhone just so I can track her though.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DH and I have "Find my iPhone" which is a very useful app - you can see where the phone is and wipe it remotely if someone pinches it (it has to be turned on, obviously!). Because we share an iTunes account, it is actually a tracker so it's quite useful if I know he is on the way from somewhere and it gives me an idea of when he might be home, and vice versa. I gueses if the whole family had iphones (we don't), you could track the whole family if you really wanted to.
scary mum