Looking for help

Re: Teaching how to write essays

Post by Looking for help »

They seem to be obsessed with semi colons :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Looking for help wrote:They seem to be obsessed with semi colons :lol:
It's in a (usually futile) bid to avoid what is known as 'comma splicing', ie 'stick a comma in now and then to break up a sentence you would otherwise die trying to read in one breath'. Personally I feel full stops are now very much underused. Period.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I agree, Amber :D

But have been sent on my way by my daughter who thinks she is the expert as she is studying English Literature now at university; what do I know ?

(She's not the one with the dissertation, they call it a Long Essay which will make interesting reading , I think :D )
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

My daughter is in Year 8 and I know that her English teachers goes over what they need to do to achieve the different levels - although this isn't the same to teaching them how to write essays. Most of the ground work is put in place at primary school.
At my ds's school they use mind maps, story plans (pictures and words) and story maps to help plan their writing. They usually do a big write each week. The night before, they come home with some talk homework connected with their big write. We chat about it, sometimes do a mind map or come up with some exciting words (wow words) or phrases that he can use. At school the next day, they do some activities leading up to the write, which puts them in the right frame of mind. This means that when they actually sit down to write, they already have in their head a good idea of what they are going to put down. They produce some amazing work this way, which makes them want to do even better next time. I've noticed that my sons writing has come along alot this year. Lots of new vocab. Now when he writes (creative) it's like he is painting a picture in my head.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Personally I feel full stops are now very much underused. Period.
Very droll, Amber :lol:

My children won't let me read their essays because they say my comments are irrelevant and off the point (probably true, I'm a journalist :D ) but there does seem to be a concentration on structure over content, which I find a little sad.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:My children won't let me read their essays...
Why would you want to? I can honestly say I have never tried. Which is just as well as I can imagine the response, especially if I then tried to offer comments. :lol:
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

The worst, sloppiest piece of english I have read in a long time was the english teacher's recent report on DD2!!
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

@Bromleymum, that's impressive!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now