Please can a teacher explain

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Please can a teacher explain

Post by Guest55 »

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... _8782.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This link tells you what levels are achievable for each optional test.
moved

Post by moved »

I doubt such a thing exists. Work books are readily available both on here and in well-known shops.

There are many threads on here regarding the Key Stage Tests - they are only unofficially called SATs.

I'm not really sure what you want/need.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah thanks for the link. what is the difference between paper a and paper b each year? Is it just different level questions, or is one calculator free? Is a calculator used? Current year 4 will be calculator free at end of year 6 so will teachers give annual tests that are suited to being calculator free?

do those 2007 threshold always apply? If so is that because the same paper is used year after year?

How many years worth of year 6 real papers are available for teachers to ring the changes with?

My dd told me in term 1 of year 4 that they had been given a test for year 6 . She said she had got nothing right. I wonder what that was. Seems weird.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The a and b are different levels as I said earlier ...

There are many years of KS2 papers available - look on http://www.emaths.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most teachers would not go back before 2008 as the emphasis is slightly different.

Mystery - we've given lots of information and yet you still want more ...

Why don't you just ask at school as I think we've covered everything?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:there are two Year 3 tests and the higher gives a 4c as the top level. No need to give another year's paper.
Ah yes, sorry should have clicked that this was the a and b papers referred to in the links you gave, and that there is an a and b in years 3 4 and 5.

You say that level 5 material is not taught in year 4 . When is it taught? And when levels have gone, whatever that means in reality, will it be so hard and fast what can be taught in which year?

Do those 2007 grade boundaries in the link apply every year because the same papers are used again and again?
moved

Post by moved »

The new curriculum, which is still in consultation has no levels. It is split into years and these are grouped by key stage, split into upper and lower for ks2. If you look on the DfE website you will be able to see for yourself.

The optional tests have not been renewed for some time. Single level tests were going to replace them, but the 'Govement' scrapped them as soon as they came into power. So 2007 is the test that schools can buy and use.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

level 5 stuff may not be taught as such, but teachers ( or at least, those I know) will have extension activities, questions, challenges to make pupils think a bit deeper..If a child asks me a question, I don't say "sorry that's level 5"

as for QCA tests

paper A is no calculator
paper B is calculator allowed
mystery

Post by mystery »

But in the link that g55 gave a and b refers to tests at two different levels? Or are we at cross purposes?

How can a curriculum for each year work in maths? what happens to ones who can't get that far, or who are ready for more?

No one knows what the replacement for levels will be do they?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

not sure whether we are at cross purposes or not as I am not sure any more what you are asking!

Paper A and Paper B in the SATs, Key stage tests, QCA tests or whatever. Paper A calculator not allowed Paper B calculator is allowed..

Your best bet is to go to the school and ask direct as we obviously cannot answer your questions from the information given
moved

Post by moved »

Yes, no levels! Just like when we were at school.

There will be a curriculum that is created in two-year chunks to be taught either annually or biannually. The original idea was that all children would be taught the same topic at the same time. I don't know what happened to that idea, nothing has been printed since last summer.

There are tiered papers for year 4. Complete the first paper, score highly, do the second paper, get a higher level.