Tips to boost child's immune system

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jules7

Re: Tips to boost child's immune system

Post by Jules7 »

mm23292 wrote:Thanks Jules, interestingly no, she has had no tests to check her immune system, other than the blood tests routinely done at the time of her admissions to hospital, which obviously show signs of infection etc., but she has not been tested in between those infections. That is why the 'normal' comments seem a little trite, and perhaps explains why I am permanently on amber alert for the next one!

On the Vitamin D topic, I took great interest in this when a blood test I'd had last year, incidentally revealed I had a borderline severe deficiency. This was all the more surprising, as for the past 20 years or so, I have taken a full dose daily supplement to ward off the scourge of our familial osteoporosis! When I told the Dr...she just said, take more!
Sounds like the medics should do more investigations on your poor DD. I can really sympathise with your frustration that they could be just fire fighting.

Re vitamin D, was the daily dose you were taking the "standard" 5 micrograms normally included in adult multivitamins? It's enough to prevent rickets etc but there is more evidence surfacing that this amount is not enough for other benefits (although please note I am not a medical doctor!)
fizzypops

Post by fizzypops »

I know this is a VERY common reply to boosting immune systems but I'd really like to put some emphasis on this: exercise. My DD swims five times a week in a swimming club, five and a half hours per week and she hardly ever gets colds. This is a very important factor, I think. Even if she did get a cold she wouldn't need too much medication. Her health has improved greatly, and she is much healthier now than before she started swimming very regularly. Even if it is just twice a week spent with exercise it will still do good.
FP Fizzypops
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

I agree totally fizzlespops, I adhere to that one myself, and I rarely catch colds, despite the fact that I run or walk daily, snow, rain or shine :) However, it's not quite effective for a 3yr old who is in and out of hospital, albeit still with boundless amounts of energy sometimes. The doctors were amazed at how alert and normal she seemed, when her sats were only registering low 80's! Of course we parents know what is 'normal' and what is not.

And yes Jules, it was the standard dose, but factoring in the fact I get a lot of calcium, and plenty of sunshine, it seemed very surprising. There is supposed to be a strong link with developing cancer, which is also interesting, as both my parents died fairly young from cancer, and a lot of my relatives too :shock: At that point, I stopped reading into it anymore :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now