Child of our time

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

UmSusu

Re: Child of our time

Post by UmSusu »

Ah that explains it then. Yes, I can imagine that they would be a bit more self-conscious about what they reveal about themselves now. I think it was good point at which to reflect on the changes in the whole family dynamics.

I am struggling with this too at the moment with my 10 and 12 year old - they have changed but my parenting style (ie domineering matriarch who refuses to take any nonsense from her unruly boys 8) ) hasn't found a way to adjust to them yet.

I also found it quite difficult to watch the angst of that mother but i think she is facing a a big crossroad that other mother's face too when the children are no longer as dependent and they want a new direction for themselves.

UmSusu
UmSusu
doodles

Post by doodles »

Wish could tell the "tennis mum" that it can be ok but she needs to let go of what could have been and forge ahead to what she can do now - my humble opinion I know, but having had the high powered career and matching salary I am far far happier now in my very lowly paid early years career - regret can be very destructive (sorry getting a bit deep but she hit a chord)!

Will be interesting to see the rest of the children - wonder if any of them did the 11+!!
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

I wondered if the push for tennis success was linked to frustration about her 'lost' career. Cod psychology I know, but I have seen lots of parents pushing hard for sporting success for their child to get some vicarious glory.

Pity she never got the chance to experience life as a 'high flying city lawyer'. She might not regret it as much if she had :lol: :lol: And yes, I do speak from experience.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

What wonderful children - and all so grown up.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I listened to rather than watched it today. I was in tears throughout yesterday and wanted to keep it together today. And I'm glad. Listening to the young girl who'd lost her mum ...
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

There a few times where there was something in my eye as well.

Have I really got the teenage years to come. DD isn't quite 11 yet and already has the occasional rant. Her favourite phrase seems to be, 'in a minute'.

Please tell me it doesn't get worse.

I take solace in the fact I only have to do this once.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DD's is I am! when she's told to do something and she clearly isn't doing it.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I asked DS1 (just turned 13) about the I AM!!! thing. He explained that he has already decided in his head to do something, so when I then ask him to do it aswell, it just seems excessive to the point of nagging, even if it's the first time I've asked.

I have found that if I hand him a post-it note with a list of my expectations on it (have shower, do homework, practise piano, pack schoolbag for tomorrow) it doesn't wind him up as much as spoken requests.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

We get a lot of 'nearly' as in 'are you ready to go ?' 'nearly' at which point I look in her room and see she is still in her PJs
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I might try that for DS, DD and OH. Thank you :D .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now