What's your favourite book?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

neurotic kent mum

Re: What's your favourite book?

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Reading mum _ 'The majority of books I read will never appear on a list like this - distinct lack of vampires, demons, witches and medieval kilt wearing alpha males :D I am so low-brow.'

I am so with you on this. But on this basis I have to admit that Wuthering Heights remains a favourite.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I don't know what the rude book is! I can think of only one so I suppose I'm right. I read a paragraph of it from someone's phone, and decided it wasn't for me.

If we're talking about the same book(s).??
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

'That book' is the current joke at work. Most control display graphics (think of oil refinery or chemical plant type control rooms) have very neutral displays so alarms and messages stand out to operators. Everything is grey, different shades of.
At the moment we are reviewing graphics. This is the only amusement.

Fav books
The girl in a swing Richard Adams. I think this is one of the few books I have re read several times.

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series. My Dd has almost finished the first book. :lol: she thinks it's good. I would consider her education lacking until she had read it.

The millennium series.

The colour of magic by Terry Pratchett, but I can't keep up with the pace he writes at.

My book tastes are quite eclectic, loved Wuthering heights, as a Yorkshire lass I could relate to the description of the locality. Also like crime and thrillers, I recently read Gone girl which I enjoyed and can recommend if you like that sort of thing.
sbarnes

Re: It's half term! Great Days out...

Post by sbarnes »

I have just got into Ken Follett last two weeks. Is he any good or appeals to mass market.
ginx

Post by ginx »

There obviously is only one (well, three) "rude" book out there ...

I've heard/read of most of your books, has anyone read anything unusual?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ginx wrote:There obviously is only one (well, three) "rude" book out there ...

I've heard/read of most of your books, has anyone read anything unusual?
Loving Geordie by Andrea Badenoch. I took this off the shelf in the library because I am a Crime section groupie, so to speak, and there is a murder in it, but it is also (to me) interesting because of the historical setting - Newcastle in the early 1960s. And I defy even the most hard-hearted to read it without the occasional tear in their eye :cry:

For something truly bizarre but still - sort of - connected to the real world, try Christopher Fowler's "Bryant and May" detective novels.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
and...breathe

Post by and...breathe »

Summer at St.Clares -Enid Blyton
Wilt-Tom Sharpe
Tale of Two Cities and The Count of Monte Christo-Dumas
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I can't say my favourite book (or at least one of them) as it would out me to everyone I know :oops:

I love reading, and actually my list would be very long & vary with mood.
scary mum
moved

Post by moved »

I'm not good with utter trash and I'm too tired to read high brow. I've just read the Ann Cleeves Shetland quartet. Any suggestions? Sorry, I know I'm difficult; my last book club commented on it? :mrgreen:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I've recently read Horse Boy, a true story about a boy with autism and his natural affinity with horses. It's a very heart warming story.

I don't think I've read anything unusual. I enjoyed Grey Owl books growing up - does that count?