Effect of raising school leaving age on accelerated pupils

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rob Clark

Re: Effect of raising school leaving age on accelerated pupi

Post by Rob Clark »

In the past it wasn't a problem as underage pupils were advised to take a gap year. But what will they do in the future? Stay on at school and take more A levels?
I appreciate that it is very different these days, but this is exactly what I did, as did quite a few of my fellow pupils in the mid-80s. Stayed on, took a couple more A levels and did a lot of extra stuff around school – sports and prefect-y work, CCF, helping with new boys etc. Don't suppose this sort of thing happens any more, does it? I loved it.

Amber, perhaps you should be writing policy? :lol: Is this purpose of doing your PhD? :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:I appreciate that it is very different these days, but this is exactly what I did, as did quite a few of my fellow pupils in the mid-80s. Stayed on, took a couple more A levels and did a lot of extra stuff around school – sports and prefect-y work, CCF, helping with new boys etc. Don't suppose this sort of thing happens any more, does it? I loved it.
I expect the school did too, Rob, as were you not at one with eye-wateringly high fees? Could see a nice little market opportunity opening up there - 'stretching' for 'very bright 17 year olds who are being robbed of the chance to go to university'. I might just can the PhD and open up a little pre-uni hothouse for the super-intelligent rich instead.

And with regard to your last question - the chances of being influential in education are inversely proportional to one's qualifications in that field, I believe.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

:-) I was at independent school tis true, but not eye-wateringly expensive I don't think as it wasn't a boarding school – paid for by my father investing in a hugely successful (but utterly terrible!) play. :D And not sure it was much more expensive than a gap year, certainly not the hugely expensive ones that seem to proliferate these days.

I'm sure those terribly nice consultants at places like McKinsey are absolutely qualified to form the country's education policy, Amber :roll:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:I'm sure those terribly nice consultants at places like McKinsey are absolutely qualified to form the country's education policy, Amber :roll:
Don't start me. Just don't. :evil:
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Given the fact they have to stay in education it makes me wonder about transport payment. I am just concerned that for a child to stay they suddenly have to pay adult prices for transport.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

This already happens, I have to pay double for my year 12 DD on the school bus compared to year 7 DS. They have the same size bottoms and go to the same school! :lol:
scary mum