High Sleeper bed - any feedback?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rubycat

Re: High Sleeper bed - any feedback?

Post by Rubycat »

What does your son think about it, my daughter had a mid sleeper, but once she got to 11 she really wanted a normal bed, as she thought they were uncool. We ended up with a double bed with draws, lots of space and handy for sleepovers she also likes having a bedside table for a drink,lamp and book, as she had nowhere for these before.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sounds like the requirements for a high bed are a short but robust child in a very high ceilinged room... with a handy adjacent bookcase to put the lamp etc on. :wink:
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Ha, yes, my dd did have a nice wide-topped bookcase next to her bed as a bedside table :-) She's not short though ;-)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

aliportico wrote:Ha, yes, my dd did have a nice wide-topped bookcase next to her bed as a bedside table :-) She's not short though ;-)
ho ho DD did not take after me but being 8'6" with a bolt through my neck made it much easier to put the bed together.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Mid height are easier (but still hard) to change sheets and provide bedside table but are quicker to get out of in emergency!

Something else, you can't sit on the edge for a cosy night chat.

It's not the same talking to a disembodied voice near the ceiling. Or peering over the edge with only your eyes showing, unless it's Halloween.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

We have / had the Flexa mid sleeper for DD but we took the legs off to make it a normal bed when she was about 10. Great when she was younger though as she had curtains around the space underneath to play in or hide away toys
doodles

Post by doodles »

Whilst I wouldn't put DS2 up in the air both DS's are still in the bed parts of the Flexabed system (just at normal height) at 14 and very large DS1 is only just growing out of his.
Y

Post by Y »

We have a mid-height bed and changing it is a complete pain in the neck. It's impossible to get the duvet to look tidy because of the rails around the edge. Fortunately, the bed is rarely used, as it's in a room used by my DS as a study. I end up sleeping in it occasionally if DH has a cold or other communicable disease, and it's irritating to climb in and out of. Wouldn't want to do it if I wasn't well - could end up with broken bones! It does, however, have masses of storage space underneath. Have you considered studybed.co.uk? Would love to know if anyone has experience with one of those.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Daughter (13) moved into a high cabin bed about eighteen months ago (desk and wardrobe underneath). There is perhaps an upper age limit for them but it's more like 35 than 10 (you can get doubles), it just depends how nimble you are. We're in a 70s semi so ceilings are quite low; the only issue is the Artex ceiling which is pretty nasty to brush against. It's made a huge difference to the space available in the room.

I imagine she will want to move back down to ground level eventually, but while she's going through difficult teenage years I suspect she takes great pleasure in being able to shin up the ladder and sulk in almost total inaccessibility.

Mike
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I'm not the original op but would like to thank all the contributors. We've been considering a cabin bed/desk combo for my son as we want to put a desk in his room for September, but lacks space. The comments above have made me conclude that it may not be the most practical option - at least not the high bed.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now