Tudors

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zorro

Tudors

Post by zorro »

The Tudors on tonight at 11.20 on BBC2.
This follows on from fascinating programme earlier called 'The last days of Anne Boleyn'
Anyone interested in Henry V111 and Tudors should watch this.
Daogroupie

Re: Tudors

Post by Daogroupie »

We have the entire box set, a fantastic series. I do actually feel sorry for Henry, we can't get enough of the subject and hang onto Mr Starkey's every word on the subject. What did the last days have to say? Did they think she was innocent? We will catch it on iplayer. DG
zorro

Post by zorro »

Some historians said she was set up by Cromwell but another said she was guilty as charged including sleeping with her brother!
Do watch it- brilliant!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There is of course the argument that she did it in order to try and get a son to save her neck. Her own sister in law testified against her and her own husband. My girls always say they would not have set foot in court during these times. I do feel fate was very cruel to Henry who really only ever wanted one thing, a son to take the throne. How sad he never knew what a great queen his daughter Elizabeth was. She never spoke of her mother, would be fascinating to know what she really thought about her father having her mother killed. DG
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

I have just read Phillippa Gregory "The Other Boleyn Girl" and "The Boleyn Inheritance". I don't know how much they are based on fact but I felt nothing for loathing for Henry while reading them. I must catch the programme up to get another perspective.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Anne was pretty ruthless, she would have got Henry to kill Catherine and his own daughter Mary if she could have managed it. She had no friends at court and her own Uncle sat in judgement on her. Henry needed a son as the Tudors were new in town! Anne just craved power at any cost. I feel more sorry for Henry than Anne. DG