Do you choose your children's friends?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Pumpkin Pie

Do you choose your children's friends?

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ocialLinks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting article, which will have you either nodding in agreement or seething! Are you as extreme as Katie in the article? :wink:
Hera

Re: Do you choose your children's friends?

Post by Hera »

Seething. What a controlling bigoted snob. I feel sorry for her poor children. Just my opinion of course :lol:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Mad women, the least said the better.
Pumpkin Pie, you mustn't read the Daily Mail :shock:
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

Haha! She got to paragraph 17 before saying 'at the risk of sounding snobbish...'!!

To the contrary, I was proud of my son when he befriended a new boy at primary school who had moved to the area when his Dad was sent to prison. It was a joy to take him to the theatre, museums etc, and watch him enjoy them. He is a rough diamond, but great fun to be with, and adds to the richness of my son's friends circle.

I disagree with Katie Hopkins on every matter I've ever heard her speak on. I am delighted that my children have a full range of every type of friend, including many highly academic ones that help them to grow in one way, but also others that help them to grow in another.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Looking for help, the article was discussed on Daybreak this morning...... added the link for your information! :D
Last edited by Pumpkin Pie on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I can't bear reading the article again, but it seemed to me that she chose friends for her children on the basis of what clothes they wear or because their parents didn't get their children to school on time. She hadn't thought that there may be other reasons, financial or circumstantial that affects some people. What a good role model she is.

My DD has a best friend who is shunned by many for being quite rough and her mother is too. This little girl is just the sweetest thing with impeccable manners and her mum is kind and so, so funny. We get so much out of our friendship. It's hard when they are both tearful because she is never invited to other girls houses. Keep an open mind and get to know people before you pass judgement.

P.s I read the articles in the daily mail just for the comments at the end. It's cheering to know the majority of people are normal and think like us....and there are some witty, dry people around!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Quote:

At the risk of sounding snobbish, I also favour children who have good old-fashioned Victorian names such as George, Henry and Victoria. And, if a child has a name with a Latin or Greek derivation such as Ariadne or Helena, all the better. It indicates the parents are well educated.

Unquote.

And her children are called, Poppy, India and Max - says it all really, take note everyone :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Shallow.

My DD has a Greek middle name, one of those mentioned. Mainly because some one bought DH a myths and legends book rather than a baby name book. DH liked it.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Odious ridiculousness.
I am adamant that I would not do this but then, I'm ashamed to admit, that I would walk over dead bodies to avoid my DC having anything to do with a parent like her. Kids fine, but I would would not let my DC into a house with a parent like that...after all you never know when they might decide to go on a picnic and stop off in a layby when the press were watching... :oops:
mad?
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

My children wouldn't sit down for a month if they climbed over my sofas in their outdoor shoes!!