Feeding Teenage Boys

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ally

Re: Feeding Teenage Boys

Post by Ally »

I seem to have the opposite problem. I would love my DS to start raiding the fridge
My nearly 14yr DS, who's tall and lanky is only just over 6 stone and never seems to gain any weight and has no real interest in food. His answer is he has a fast metabolism.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Mine lives on pasta - he'll come home from school and cook himself a huge pan of it - and still want dinner two hours later, and another meal later in the evening after sports training. He's strong and fit from his sports training though, so he seems to be using/needing it rather than simply overeating. Definitely teach them to cook quick and simple things for themselves - pasta, omelettes, bacon, noodles, cheese on toast, soups, etc - and have plenty of fruit etc available for grazing then at least they're (mostly) eating real food rather than snack/junk food.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Just been to the supermarket and stocked up with cereal, eggs, dates, fruit, pasta, rice cakes, roasted peanuts (hoping they take so long to shell they might slow him down a bit!) and some dried fruit.

I wonder how long that lot will last.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I'm sure I've read somewhere that at this age at least half their food intake should be carbs..... Good idea to have something healthy on the toast, sardines anyone (my favourite) or tomatoes. Cereal is good but if its just a grain maybe add nuts and banana for slow releasing energy.