Ideas for Summer holidays - Volunteering etc for children

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Minesatea

Re: Ideas for Summer holidays - Volunteering etc for childre

Post by Minesatea »

If you are after something longer term rather than just for the holidays then you could try St Johns Ambulance. I think cadets start at age 10.
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

Minesatea wrote:If you are after something longer term rather than just for the holidays then you could try St Johns Ambulance. I think cadets start at age 10.
thanks, i just spoke to them and it is about weekly 2 - 4 hours programme, this is like another activity club

I would be more interested on daily 3 to 4 hours of busy time during holidays and not as a regular club

looks like no possibilities to match my request and i am thinking of renting a pet but that also looks like not a possibility

we dont think we want a pet on long term relation but wanted to try a pet like rabbit/cat (any pet which easy to maintain) during summer holidays and if we are comfortable then we may look after the pet on long term. but this is a possibility in usa but does not look like in uk

hmmmmmmmmm
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

FlexPetz USA based company looking to open rent a pet service in London as per news in 2008 but I am unable to find if they have started providing this service

Unable to find their contact number for London, please let me know if you can find any info about this
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

harrow123 wrote:@sonasona:holiday may be for 5 days but not for 50 days . having their own life, what they do generally is watching telly, facebook, skype etc. I dont want that to happen. They dont much like playing on streets.
I’m with you Bro! Here’s an idea……..Take the opportunity to have a good old clear out at home and let them make some money. Get rid of all the bits you and they don’t have a need for, sell them on that well know auction site or set up car boot sales. Let them do the advertising, listings, sorting, packaging and posting. With the money they make, use it for their new study materials, uniforms and other treats! It will be worthwhile exercise which may just be just as enjoyable too!
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

sonasona wrote:
harrow123 wrote:@sonasona:holiday may be for 5 days but not for 50 days . having their own life, what they do generally is watching telly, facebook, skype etc. I dont want that to happen. They dont much like playing on streets.
I’m with you Bro! Here’s an idea……..Take the opportunity to have a good old clear out at home and let them make some money. Get rid of all the bits you and they don’t have a need for, sell them on that well know auction site or set up car boot sales. Let them do the advertising, listings, sorting, packaging and posting. With the money they make, use it for their new study materials, uniforms and other treats! It will be worthwhile exercise which may just be just as enjoyable too!
Thanks, will have to do that if i dont find what i am looking for, but they need a continous push to get above things done :)

I will make them do

Garden work, cycling, exercise, treadmill, reading, garage tidy up, drawing etc etc but i want them to have a reason to wake up really
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

:idea: Another way to look at it is... 'what don't you want them doing all summer?' and then ban it during certain times. :D

You wouldn't be the first parent to go to work with the internet router in your handbag, and a list of jobs left on the kitchen worktop! :lol:

Sometimes it's not what they should be doing in the holidays that we need to seek to fulfil (they are just kids after all) but moreover limiting what they shouldn't be doing (all summer). Sometimes the only way to get inherently lazy young teens to be (more) constructive with their time, more to our liking, is to ban 'screens' (phone, TV, Laptop) - and then just let them get bored. They'll soon find something to do that doesn't make us feel they have wasted 50 days of summer.

It's a difficult age though (11 and 13). Maybe not quite so imaginative in their play anymore and too young to get a job (paid or otherwise).

It was about that age that mine started going to the beach on the train with friends for the day etc. They were in a big group and liked the independence. Don't ban the phone on such days! haha
ginx

Post by ginx »

Dog-walking?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Are they any good playing with younger children? There might be some Mums / Dads at home during the summer with younger children who'd like an older child to go round and play with their child (on a voluntary basis of course) while they are getting on with other household stuff? Or to be an extra help on trips out, going to the swimming pool etc? Not suggesting they'd take any responsibility but they could find it good fun, they'd get to know the parent, see a different household, learn a bit about being a parent etc etc. Excellent practice for when you sent them both out on au pair jobs at the earliest opportunity. It might be voluntary, but there'd be nothing stopping you getting references.

If you advertised round here in school and church newsletters and via all your address book contacts I'm sure you'd get some takers. Delivering leaflets or local newspapers is something else they might be able to do on a paid basis for a few hours a week - not sure how to find out about that one. Good exercise and they could do it together and maybe keep it up during termtime too.

Good luck!
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

mystery wrote:Are they any good playing with younger children? There might be some Mums / Dads at home during the summer with younger children who'd like an older child to go round and play with their child (on a voluntary basis of course) while they are getting on with other household stuff? Or to be an extra help on trips out, going to the swimming pool etc? Not suggesting they'd take any responsibility but they could find it good fun, they'd get to know the parent, see a different household, learn a bit about being a parent etc etc. Excellent practice for when you sent them both out on au pair jobs at the earliest opportunity. It might be voluntary, but there'd be nothing stopping you getting references.

If you advertised round here in school and church newsletters and via all your address book contacts I'm sure you'd get some takers. Delivering leaflets or local newspapers is something else they might be able to do on a paid basis for a few hours a week - not sure how to find out about that one. Good exercise and they could do it together and maybe keep it up during termtime too.

Good luck!

I think this is brilliant Mystery. When my three were pre-school/infant age our neighbours teenagers would often occupy them for a few hours in the holidays. I'd still be around but could catch up with things around home, and the teens played with my guys in the garden. I paid them with a ready supply of cake.

Also dog walking/pet sitting would be good, and may carry on in term time.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Chimney sweeping? A traditional activity for young children I think.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now