Girls!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
modernista

Re: Girls!

Post by modernista »

There is one Hollister shop in Kingston, my DD has been persuading me to take her there. Agree with fairyelephant, a warm well made hoddie that washes well I can still see the point of shelling out for but the synthetic lace stuff is the stuff I cant stand, completely impractical with the weather (no good if cold and sweaty if hot) and having no aesthetic appeal. By the way on the subject of Primark and the like, there is a website which ranks the high street shops on various criteria.

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/buyersgu ... shops.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a lot of people do have the time or money to buy from anything other than the high street, I was heartened to see New Look on there. Of course this comparison is only amongst other high street shops so may not mean very much. I also think sustainability becomes most meaningful in the context of the mainstream.

PS there are fun sliders
Last edited by modernista on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
modernista

Post by modernista »

I took DD and a 16 year cousin to Camden Lock market just to let them know that an alternative exists to the high street. DD bought a T shirt which says 'Geek' on it and one that has birds on wires but looks like a music sheet (both for a fiver). I like the fact that there is a different aesthetic (I may regret this in years to come) but a lot of stuff is similar so I suspect made in sweatshops etc. I am hoping that by my association with alternative fashion will make it less desirable in a way.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Should have renamed this the 'Hollister' thread :wink: Agree Amber is a serious subject and on second thoughts have removed my dress link as don't want to overly promote a brand I don't particularly want my DD to be looking up to and admiring. One hoodie hopefully won't corrupt her.

So, apart from the bees/wannabes book I have, any other recommendations for me/DD on teen friendships/starting high school etc.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I had thought oh good, with all those great in-school clubs that primary lacked, I can cut out driving her to some activities I have organised/paid for til now.

Luckily I was able to re-instate some of them or she would have spent all of year 7 alone in her room, contemplating suicide.

She completely refused to join or attend anything after the first week of snide comments from her "friends" from primary, plus all the threats of demerit marks, recorded on the computer, for being in the wrong place due to trying a club.

Only because the orchestra try outs were the first week and she got some positive attention from the music dept so couldn't "let them down", did she do anything at all. She's always been very busy, joining and trying everything, so it was a shock. Other parents of quieter DCs have had similar experiences. in our case she's come back somewhat. But the first months were a misery and a punishment. School tried to get her to try things but she felt patronised.
modernista

Post by modernista »

Silverysea,

My heart goes out to you. I am sure the initial wobbles will wear off even though they sound really difficult at the time. Primary school friends can be a mixed blessing. Its great to take part in after school clubs but I find my DD sticking with only those that her friends go to (apart from music). A few outside activities are good because they restore perspective that the school is not everything.

DH and I like to eat vege primarily but I find it difficult to provide protein to my DD. This may be completely unscientific but I find her mood improves after a high protein (with carb) diet.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

If I had it to do over again, I would have taken DD1 out of the school by Christmas of Year 7. I just kept hoping it would improve, and it did, but not enough. In our case it wasn't just about friendship issues but I now think "settling in" was more a case of making the best of a bad job and a mistake choice of the wrong school for her, which I should not have accepted. Probably would have ended in divorce though as DH didn't agree at the time ( he does now and DD 2 is going elsewhere, exams passed or not).

So, maintain her other home interests and other relationships, and be open-minded about alternatives in case it doesn't go to plan.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Don't worry she has come out of it well, happy now, and making the most of the several positive aspects of the school. Her own good nature won out.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Plus forcible dosing with vits vege iron and a very varied diet.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Don't forget to watch St. Trinians! :lol: :lol:

One of my favourite films is 'Wild Child' -about a girls boarding school. Always makes me teary! :cry:
ginx

Post by ginx »

Wild Child is good. Have you seen Angus, Thongs and Snogging? (Might be a 15 but my girls love it) and St Trinians 2?

Slightly off subject though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now