Consequences of refusing private scolarship place?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

omismum

Consequences of refusing private scolarship place?

Post by omismum »

Hi everyone,

If you change your mind and opt to go to grammar school in spite of accepting a place in private school with scholarship.
Do they charge you for a whole term?
what can be done in these circumstances?
does anybody have that kind of experience?

I would really appreciate positive suggestions please.
Thank you
hermanmunster

Re: Consequences of refusing private scolarship place?

Post by hermanmunster »

depends what you signed when you accepted the place! Some indies will require a terms fees in lieu of notice. If there is a scholarship offered they may or may not take that into account but they usually expect kids with scholarships to stay for the full time.

you need to check the paperwork.

may be different for bursaries?/
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I certainly know of families at more than 1 local indie who gave notice just after the start of Summer term (at 1 whole terms notice schools) who are having to stump up a full term fees in September.
They might knock off the amount you would have received as scholarship but probably not - usually the scholarship is offered on the basis that the child fully participates in school activities in the scholarship subject which they can't do if they are not at the school.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

I think it extremely likely you will have to pay for the first term. The place has been offered and accepted which means someone else missed out. They will be able to fill the place, either from the waiting list if there is one or by testing someone else, but by now virtually everything will be in place for your DC and all the administration and preparation will have been done. Some indies break up this week.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Read the terms of the contract you have agreed to. There could be unfair clauses in it, but it would be pretty standard to cough up the first term fees for such a last minute change as this.
BaristaQCee

Post by BaristaQCee »

Paying for a full term is pretty much standard at the indies that I am familiar with.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now