Can Non Cristian child go in Cof E school?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
omismum

Can Non Cristian child go in Cof E school?

Post by omismum »

Hi ,
we are moving in the area where lots of CofE schools are their. i am Hindu.
I am not orthodox and respect all religions equally.
I don't mind putting him there but will he feel out of place?
He was in general school where all faith children used to come.
What to expect from school?
Any ideas or suggestions?
Apology if I am hurting anybodys feelings.
Thank you.
Warks mum

Re: Can Non Cristian child go in Cof E school?

Post by Warks mum »

I'm sure any CofE school will welcome your child and it's very likely he will find a lot of non-Christians (and Christians who aren't Church of England) at a CofE school.

The school is more likely to have an overtly Christian part to its assemblies than other schools, for example, but you're legally allowed to withdraw your son from these if you'd prefer - though most youngsters of any faith or none attend. Those leading will be aware that many youngsters of secondary age will be thinking about their own beliefs so are likely to give them some thought-provoking talks.

My limited experience of CofE schools suggests they consider pastoral care is very important (after all, 'Love your neighbour as yourself' is the second most important commandment for Christians!) so if there are any issues between youngsters - as there generally are, whatever the school - they should be tackled swiftly.

However, every school is different so you'll need to check out them out carefully anyway! Also - competition for some faith schools is great and you many find you need to live very close to have a chance of getting a place. Again - you'll need to check the admissions policies of the schools you are looking at.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My DD is at a CofE school and I would say at least a third are not.

It comes Into its own for admissions as churchgoing families are usually higher up the admission criteria. DDs school doesn't discriminate between Christian denominations (so Methodists, Catholics etc count the same as Anglican).

In some areas where there is high demand and the school is outstanding, you may find it more difficult to get in as other families 'find' religion, just to get their child into the school.

Hope that helps
omismum

Post by omismum »

Thank you Warksmum and Tinker.
Its very useful and reassuring.