Grade I music aurals

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

Grade I music aurals

Post by fatbananas »

Can anyone tell me if DC can fail on a not-very-good music aural, as part of their Grade I exam? DS has had 3 practice aural tests and was ok-ish on the final one. I don't know how many practices DC normally get, 3 doesn't seem very many, but it's clearly not something that comes naturally to DS!

DS has his Grade I test today and it would hugely boost his confidence if he passed, but I am anxious about the aural! Otherwise, he plays beautifully, wrote his adoring mother!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
ginx

Re: Grade I music aurals

Post by ginx »

My son's completed grade 5 piano, and throughout all his grades he has failed two aurals. It seems that you can fail on any part of any grade but still pass.

Dd2 did flute grade 1 a few weeks ago, she hardly practiced, had group lessons, and really was not very good. Her last practices with me were terrible. Mistakes in every piece. She only had one aural lesson. Waiting for the results.

But my son says "everyone passes grade 1". I hope he's right. If your ds plays beautifully, it won't matter about the aural; the points he gets for his pieces will make up for any he may lose on his aural.

I bet he's fine. Hope it goes well. :)
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Ah, thanks Ginx, you've put my mind at rest! How long afterwards is it til you find out the result? I was sort-of hoping we'd find out there and then :roll: :lol:
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Which instrument and which examining board, fatbananas? DS has just done Grade 4 trombone and the aural counted for 10 of the total 100 marks available (Trinity board). DS got 8/10 for the aural with two errors which were noted on the examiner's report. DS's teacher does very little aural practice with them - his wife does half an hour a week before the exam. I think you can get books and CDs to practice at home - but I guess that's a bit late now! Good luck to your DS - sure he's done fine :D
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you Bondgirl. I've pm'd you!