How much work should dd do in holidays for gs?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KS10

Re: How much work should dd do in holidays for gs?

Post by KS10 »

Another idea and not in any way designed to cure your DD of her laziness :lol: - go into Waterstones and see what they have written on the little cards that give you their views on some of the books. I'm not encouraging plagiarism, but it might give her an idea about what to include.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Are they wanting this at the new school though?

I personally would be expecting a year 6 grammar child to be enjoying reading for way more than 20 minutes - a book they wish to read of course.

So I go back to my original point that if she doesn't enjoy reading that much, this is surely the more important point to address this summer than whether or not she is lazy about writing comments about what she has just read? What adult in their right mind would want to stop reading a good book part way through and write a resume.

If my dd gets that as her summer holiday homework before starting secondary I would be thinking about changing schools - that is if it means what you think it does!

If your daughter enjoys reading the books on this list but doesn't particularly enjoy writing about them but you personally feel she needs to write something considered during the holiday, then why not come up together with a simple rating system each time a book is finished, and then do a proper review of the highest rated book at the end of the hols?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Ginx - deep breaths. Chances are at least a third of the class won't have done anything, another third will spend half an hour the night before term starts trying to scribble something plausible into a notebook, and maybe another third will have done something approximating to what is required, with one little darling producing a lovingly crafted, illustrated manuscript containing critics' views interspersed with her own (for it will be a girl) astonishingly mature insights into a wide range of classical and modern literature. This smug child will receive several house points or merits or whatever and a bar of chocolate, and earn the resentment of all the other sinners for at least half a term.

Relax. Give your daughter the list and stand back. Let her be lazy if she wants - what else are the long summer holidays for?

Really.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Amber - 'like' - and you are absolutely right, it will be a girl!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Enjoy the holidays and don't fret about about homework when it is so hot - it does not happen often enough to be stressing. My dd and ds will take advice about school work / homework from teachers but not from me so i have learned to keep well away. I know some say that parents have to keep on top of things - perhaps it depends on the children and mine do not appreciate any intervention from me at all unless they have asked for it- ie last minute panic that they have forgotten to do something.

I have to say I loved reading as a child but hated english literature as I really did not enjoy analysing and writing about what I had read- I just did not see the point- so much so that I did not do the Eng lit O level despite doing the lessons but spent extra time on Physics as I really needed a good grade in it. ( I did already have my Eng Lang O level though as I had taken it early)
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thanks, everyone. My dd2 read six chapters, wrote something, has volunteered to do some more tomorrow. I will see if she does, but I think now she's started, she will be fine.

Mystery, she does enjoy reading but tends to skim read. She will skim read for hours, way more than 20 minutes, a book that she is enjoying. So I am definitely not worried about her love of reading. She didn't know what to write until I suggested from advice on here a resume, she just wrote a couple of lines. It looks fine. She's happy. I'm happy.

Don't worry - she's still enjoying the holidays. We've just had friends out, been to the park and had ice creams. I'm not a slave driver. Yet.

Amber, thank you for your words. I hope you're right. I can't believe every girl will have worked really hard - and I can't believe she will be in trouble if she hasn't, in her first weeks at gs. Now I've got her started, she can carry on at her own speed.

Who knows, she may whizz through a few books :roll:
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

My DD1 would have lost this assignment before I ever saw it, and forgotten all about it. In her school, it would additionally be forgotten by the teacher, who will have left by the time the new year begins. My DD2 will spend weeks stressing about it and produce something huge, which will turn out to be imperfect in some way and she will have a conniption at the school gate, and her first day of school and her life will be ruined.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Silverysea, your dd's sound great.

:lol:
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Never a dull moment!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well that's great. So she could skim read a mound of books over the summer if she likes reading for several hours a day. What is wrong with that? Why does that make you feel your daughter might read much less and have worked less hard over the summer than other girls? Sorry I still don't follow what you are concerned about.

Is skim reading a very different activity from reading? And is the school really expecting a mound of written work? I can't imagine many teachers wanting to start out the term with a heap of marking. I would guess they are trying to spur children on to read more than they normally do, and gain some insight into their reading habits and attitude to reading at the same time. So maybe a shift from hours of skim reading per day to 20 minutes of reading is not what they are envisaging?