School shoes and clothes!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Growingtofast

School shoes and clothes!

Post by Growingtofast »

My 13yr old son has canoes for feet, he is already in a men's size 10. I don't want to spend a fortune on shoes as his feet are still growing :shock: I would really appreciate any recommendations for a reasonable quality black school shoe that would hopefully last 3 months, that's if he doesn't out grow them before he wears them out. Also as he is 5ft 8in tall and extremely skinny I'm having problems buying school trousers for him. To get the length they look like a sack of potatoes on him they need to be dark grey. Thanks you in advance for any replies. :)
Minesatea

Re: School shoes and clothes!

Post by Minesatea »

I have to use the school uniform suppliers for my tall lanky DS' s trousers as you can buy by the length and waist size rather than age. Nothing on the high street or in supermarkets will fit.
Is this the sort of thing?
http://www.coesschoolwear.co.uk/product ... ey_B54.htm
or these might be ok :
http://www.yourschoolwear.co.uk/boys-gr ... 1920-p.asp
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

I get good'ish deals via TK mex on the high street. LAst years fashions at reasonable prices. Try them. They usually stock Clarks shoes as well.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Clarks is usually the one place my DH (with his size 11s) can find shoes. To be fair, he goes in and asks what they have in size 11, rather than choosing a pair then asking if they have that in 11. He has found it's easier that way. :roll:
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

No good to you wanting 10's, but you can get cheap DM shoes here - http://www.shoe-stop.co.uk/dm-work/docroyalmailwork.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; friends have used them for a couple of years now and they are great quality if you can ignore the Royal Mail stamped on the side!

My 12 year was just measured as a 9.5 in Clarks (and he's only about 5'5" so he looks somewhat ridiculous, I have to say ... ) and then we got him a nice pair of men's shoes in the sale for £30 rather than buying the non-sale back to school children's black shoes! Have a look online, they still seem to have quite a few 10s.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Minesatea wrote:I have to use the school uniform suppliers for my tall lanky DS' s trousers as you can buy by the length and waist size rather than age. Nothing on the high street or in supermarkets will fit.
Waiting in the queue in M&S for DS2 (skinny-ish, average height for a nearly-11yo) to try on some school trousers, I got chatting to a girl who was probably 15 and my height - 170cm - but in order to get a school skirt which didn't fall straight back down over her hips was trying on a selection of age 7 :shock:

I must admit to giving her a quick once-over for signs of terminal anorexia, but I have to say that she was just the narrowest perfectly fit- and healthy-looking person I had come across in a long time :) Where she actually kept her internal organs is another question...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

My almost 15 year old has a 22' waist in her new school skirt......obviously she's just like me :shock: :oops:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Ds1 (age14) is now a size 12 and DH is a 13. They both find M&S good for shoes and quite reasonable too, the ones I've just bought DS were £35.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The Grauniad (sorry, old joke) website has some "classic men's shoes" which are available up to size 14, £37.50 plus p&p. There are also some on a "buy one, get one free" offer (I assume pairs rather than shoes :lol: ).

http://essentials.guardianoffers.co.uk/ ... es/41/7862
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My OH has some of those Samuel Windsor shoes, and very good they are too!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now