Bad assessment result

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinkus-Pinkus

Bad assessment result

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

:( My DD went on a school PGL trip last week and came back terrified of an internet character that the other children had been discussing. She couldn't sleep all week on the PGL, came back very distressed, has needed to sleep in my bed since (and I have had to stay with her), and she has had constant nightmares. She is very very tired and listless (very unusual for her and she had a maths assessment at school yesterday. Her teacher said she only got a 4b when at the end of last term she got a 5b. Have spoken to the teacher about her tiredness and fear and the school are taking it seriously but I am worried that the assessment could affect any appeal if we have to go that route. I know I am probably being anxious about nothing but we have another 10 days to wait for results. Does anyone know if beginning of term assessments matter for appeals?
I am just glad the trip was not before her 11 plus because she definitely would have failed.
southbucks3

Re: Bad assessment result

Post by southbucks3 »

Dont worry, she will reach the magic 121!
My school only do mental maths assessments at start of term, so i doubt too important, many kids bomb tests after 11+ summer, as they have a rest, so to speak. The whole picture would be presented, and the teacher assessment, rather than one random start of term maths result.

Eat some really naughty food together (ben and jerry) or forbidden carbs, create some really daft internet characters to try and compartmentalise the horrid one, and try not to feed from one anothers seperate anxiety. Easier said than done, i know, but as someone who still cannot watch horror films, i have practised everything in the past. Oh and for goodness sake keep the landing loo light on!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

:(
:idea:
Is it possible that anxiety about the 11+ result could be being projected onto this particular bogeyman? It affects different people in different ways. My DS had a dreadful start to Y6, running into all sorts of problems at school, losing stuff, developing all manner of minor ailments, etc. He claimed not to be worried about the 11+ and indeed appeared quite relaxed about it, but as soon as it was all done and dusted (and we had to wait much longer then) the problems seemed to disappear as if by magic!

Fingers crossed next week. :)
Marylou
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

Marylou wrote::(
:idea:
Is it possible that anxiety about the 11+ result could be being projected onto this particular bogeyman? It affects different people in different ways. My DS had a dreadful start to Y6, running into all sorts of problems at school, losing stuff, developing all manner of minor ailments, etc. He claimed not to be worried about the 11+ and indeed appeared quite relaxed about it, but as soon as it was all done and dusted (and we had to wait much longer then) the problems seemed to disappear as if by magic!

Fingers crossed next week. :)
Yes it had occurred to me that the bogey man could be 11 plus anxiety. However there are a couple of other children in her class that are also very frightened. It is a character called Jeff the killer. I researched it and it is really scary. It is a stour about a man who cuts a smile out of his face, hides in wardrobes, whispers go to sleep to children and then kills them. Upon deeper research I found that this characters picture was morphed on Photoshop by some sad person from a picture of a poor shall we say larger child who had posted a picture of herself and then been cyber bullied into committing suicide. The bullying went on even after her death with people continuing to post very nasty and inappropriate things. It has become a competition of sorts on a site called creepypasta to see who can come up with the worst story about how the Jeff the killer character came about.
My DD knows the full story now, her imagination was worse than the reality, she was slightly better last night. The school are taking it very seriously, as they agree that it is not appropriate for children of this age to be accessing such stuff. They are going to send a message out to parents to warn them to put parental controls on their computers. It has given me the kick up the backside that I needed to put very stringent parental controls on my computers and Ipad and phone. I would suggest that you all do the same, there is some really nasty stuff out there.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Unfortunately, the only way to stop jeff the killer and many like him is by not allowing you tube at all, as the parental controls are a bit hazy when if comes to you tube charcters. We only have you tube on the family computer now, which is a shame as 90% of it is ok and the boys love all the nerdy lego vids etc.
I suspect there will be many jeff horror masks and trick or treaters this year, so prepare your girl for that, sadly that is how i discovered him last year as my eldest explained who he was. (He hates horror though). The whole suicide girl photoshop thing is part of the fiction i think?
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

Thank you for the advice SouthBucks, I will watch out for YouTube. Thankfully I have already made a rule that we have no computers anywhere except, downstairs in our house so I can keep a reasonable eye on matter, how can you prevent them from going onto YouTube? Is there control for that? At the moment the only thing that DD uses it for is to find ideas for minecraft which in itself is a pain in the backside - it is so addictive.
poohbear

Post by poohbear »

ahh the horrible internet, your poor child I hope she will be OK soon. We had a wake up call in a similar way and have put much more stringent computer rules in force. Including the banning of mine craft - there are unscrupulous outfits trying to charge a lot of money for hosting servers, considering most of the players are very young and not in a position to do this its a problem and it is way too addictive. children actually much happier now its not an option. we use Microsoft family safety where you can ban named websites and social networking too - this bans YouTube too. You can also restrict access on a timed basis so can block off any particular times of day you want on a half hourly basis. you can also switch off your modem at night :lol:
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Could I just suggest checking the paper? My daughter scored badly on a maths test the week after her two 11+ exams and we panicked! She was adamant that she had done better, so I asked to see the test. Her marking partner had missed out 4 correct answers (bringing her to a 5B) and there were 4 questions about money where she had the correct figures but missed the £ sign so was marked wrong. She didn't need this in her 11+ maths tests as they were either be multiple choice or already written, so she forgot to write them. Those would have given her a 5A. If other children mark, or the score is lower than normal, then I'd suggest checking with the teacher.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I have googled this Jeff.

Definitely something not suitable for small minds.

Hope your daughter feels better soon.
Tinkus-Pinkus

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

2Girlsmum wrote:Could I just suggest checking the paper? My daughter scored badly on a maths test the week after her two 11+ exams and we panicked! She was adamant that she had done better, so I asked to see the test. Her marking partner had missed out 4 correct answers (bringing her to a 5B) and there were 4 questions about money where she had the correct figures but missed the £ sign so was marked wrong. She didn't need this in her 11+ maths tests as they were either be multiple choice or already written, so she forgot to write them. Those would have given her a 5A. If other children mark, or the score is lower than normal, then I'd suggest checking with the teacher.
I will check, her teacher has said she can bring the paper home for me to look at, this weekend. However the teacher marked the test, so I am sure it will be OK. I think it was excessive tiredness that was the problem. I should have kept her off school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now