Grammar schools and money

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkus-Pinkus

Re: Grammar schools and money

Post by Tinkus-Pinkus »

DC17C wrote:I suppose the biggest issue could be the cost of getting to the school if you choose not not to go to your closest school then you probably won't get any help with bus fares. That seems to be regional though so depends where you are.
It is not necessarily the case that you won't get help with fares. Talk to your LA they will give you a better idea. Don't be put off finding out. Where there is a will there is a way. Your daughter deserves to go.
Memillie

Post by Memillie »

Thanks everyone, such lovely replies makes me feel better to hear that there shouldn't be much difference cost wise. I don't qualify for free school meals which I have to pay for now anyway. The school a bit of distance but only one bus. Hope she gets a place now. Thanks again glad I found this site.
Floss

Post by Floss »

Our biggest expense is the bus fare (£82 per month) but we are 12 miles from the school. Trips are reasonable but my daughter doesnt always go on them all. Uniform is pretty much the same cost as other schools. School meals are very good, they don't have chips or pizza etc very often and my daughter often tries food she would never eat at home !! Some days she takes a packed lunch.

Hope your daughter get a place :D :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well done. Which area has got results out already?
ginx

Post by ginx »

Just another thought; we went to the school uniform shop for our gs, after we'd bought all the uniform, the pastoral care lady told us that school regulation skirts, trousers and blouses don't actually have logos on; so we could have bought them anywhere. Wish I'd known that before, we could have saved quite a few £££'s. I'll know for next time.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be fine. :D
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Hi

It varies from school to school. My two eldest are at different grammars, one cost well over £500 to kit out, the other child's uniform was less than £200.

Good luck.
modernista

Post by modernista »

At my DDs grammar, one main meal and dessert is for £2 total and I think is good value for money esp. if you are working and do not have time for packed lunches. Encourage her to carry fruit/ water/ drink (bought in multipacks at supermarket) to keep lunch costs down. These can be packed the night before.

They also have a second hand sale in the summer. Sometimes you can very good quality clothes in there. Again if you are busy, you can get the spares from there to avoid weekday washing.

Travel has to cost what it has to cost- I suspect you have minimal wriggle room there.

There is always something at the bottom of school trip letters about help with school trip costs- so there will be be help.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now