VR and NVR at school last term (Bucks school)

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hasmum

VR and NVR at school last term (Bucks school)

Post by hasmum »

Hi,
My dd will take her 11 plus exams this Sept. She took VR and NVR tests last term at school.
we moved to Bucks last year so please excuse my ignorance, but these are not the practice tests are they? or what are these/ do we get to know scores etc. I know they have their sats coming up next week

Sorry been off this site for a while, just hover now and again.
please reply re above. I'm sure someone will know.

Thanks in advance.
southbucks3

Re: VR and NVR at school last term (Bucks school)

Post by southbucks3 »

Hello, the tests you mention are most likely nfer or cats reasoning tests. These are tests that allow teachers to make sure their pupils are working at the right level in class, they normally give parents a short report with the results and a comparison on a national scale. These tests are also supposed to provide a rough indication of how successful the child will be academically in the future, they are often taken in years 4,5,6 and 7. They are not taught, tutored or practiced st school, that would obviously devalue the results. The tests obviously have a margin of potential scores either side of the actual results, some people believe this should be wider, particularly as in year 4 it is all a bit new and scary and different children react in different ways.

Next week is sats week for year six only, optional year 5 sats will be taken some time in the next few months, teachers often use this year's year 6 sat papers for year 5 optional sats.

The practice test for the 11+ is on the 9th September two days before the actual test. You will not be informed of the results of the practice test or see the paper. The test will not be marked, should not be discussed by teachers at school, and is simply shredded. The idea is merely to familiarize children with the test format.

Hope this helps
hasmum

Re: VR and NVR at school last term (Bucks school)

Post by hasmum »

Thanks a million for shedding some light on this and for rest of the info, much appreciated. It was bugging me for a while especially when you don't know why they took them.

thanks again. Southbucks3 :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now