good magazines or journals for a 10-11year to read

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: good magazines or journals for a 10-11year to read

Post by Amber »

southbucks3 wrote: I had to watch an hour long programme about walrus to calm their imagination down again. :roll:
Actually walrus are quite scary, don't you think?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Having the Today Programme with John Humphries et al on in the background every morning while we all get ready for school has definitely made my children more argumentative. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. We also used to listen to hours and hours of a lovely 1980s magazine plus tape collection called Storyteller which we all enjoyed. Wonderful eclectic mix of stories read by famous voices of the time. Now that mine listen to their own thing in the car with headphones I really miss it.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Amber wrote:
southbucks3 wrote: I had to watch an hour long programme about walrus to calm their imagination down again. :roll:
Actually walrus are quite scary, don't you think?
No! They all ran away from a tiny female arctic fox, after that they lost all cred with me.

'Just a minute' is great at tea time.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Hello there,

Thank you very much for all your suggestions.....i read all of them with interest. :D

I should have posted this question long back, but i am so glad that i eventually did. Found all suggestions/ideas/ thoughts very helpful. :D
PROBSNAIVE

Post by PROBSNAIVE »

My dd has taken to reading over my shoulder when I am on the laptop. Her usual comments are 'why are they talking about that on the 11plus forum' or 'why are you still looking at the '11plus forum when I did my exam last year'. :roll:
ginx

Post by ginx »

Amber, pleased to hear your comments about reading, as nobody here loves reading. As I've just posted elsewhere, many of dd2's friends go to a creative writing group at gs, she says she'd go to a maths club if there was one because she loves maths.

You are right about talking. Sadly, we have to go on holiday to a wi-fi free zone to force my dc to talk, or go out, away from the television, the wii, the computer, the iPad, the iPod.

We regularly go on holiday to a house which only has one tv, and my four dc are forced to talk to each other and they even play games. Together :D Although that can lead to arguing because two of the four can't bear to lose. Monopoly seems to last days.

Back to the magazines to read. Dc quite enjoy parts of the Sunday Times (the travel section, cars, tv guide, and colour supplements, but not really the news).

Dd1 and dd2 greatly enjoyed reading a copy of The Sun they found on the train. Perhaps not to be recommended. They were shocked by the photos :(
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

As per ambers advice, I put my book down last night to join in a boy conversation...thus I spent twenty minutes of my life learning about bullet proof custard, and another 5 minutes hiding all my birds custard and cornflour tubs out of reach. I shall get pay back today by forcing them to look at the porcelain cabinets at the local national trust manor. :lol:

As another big up for How it Works, I think it may help/be loosely linked to ks 2 topics, as both ds2 and ds3 used it this month for school work. (Famous scientists (faraday) and solar power)
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

southbucks3 wrote:As per ambers advice, I put my book down last night to join in a boy conversation...thus I spent twenty minutes of my life learning about bullet proof custard, and another 5 minutes hiding all my birds custard and cornflour tubs out of reach. I shall get pay back today by forcing them to look at the porcelain cabinets at the local national trust manor. :lol:

As another big up for How it Works, I think it may help/be loosely linked to ks 2 topics, as both ds2 and ds3 used it this month for school work. (Famous scientists (faraday) and solar power)

:lol: couldn't stop laughing
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Another thumbs up to How it Works. DH has become far more knowledgeable about all sorts of things since reading it with ds at bedtime :lol:
Hera

Post by Hera »

You can get a trial 3 issues of How it Works for a £1.
http://www.howitworksdaily.com/offer/?g ... tAodWA0AxQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;