good magazines or journals for a 10-11year to read

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Oshosh

good magazines or journals for a 10-11year to read

Post by Oshosh »

hello,

I hoping for DS to get into the habit of reading. could i ask what magazine or journal for DS to read on a regular basis. i was thinking in the lines of readers digest... is it bit too early for DS. at the moment he reads football magazines, and sports stuff on the newspaper, and some story books.
But this is not regular, and i dont really like the football magazine, which has very little vocab. I wonder if anyone can advise. pls

thanks
Peridot

Re: good magazines or journals for a 10-11year to read

Post by Peridot »

We subscribe to "First News" - award-winning children's newspaper, in our house.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

All the boys and man in our house seem unable to go to the loo without 'how it works' which is expensive, but absolutely stuffed full of short articles on just about everything.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Can't comment on football magazines, but the sports pages (both reporting and features) in the quality papers are well-written and great if sport is his interest - Times, Telegraph etc rather than the "red-tops" :lol: . Let him have the whole paper and his interest may stray to some of the other sectiions :D

I have bought "First Times" for one or other of our DC occasionally, but usually I have read it rather than them (more interested in the Beano...).

National Geographic Kids is good fun as well - DS2 has had a subscription for a few years and says he still enjoys it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

We also like How it Works. But my DS now 13, but started it earlier, also reads bits of The Week quite often. As the articles are short they can be very accessible.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Four four two is a better football magazine then Match, Match of the Day etc, with longer articles.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

Top gear is fantastic;
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS2 reads How It Works, we get it on subscription which works out cheaper, and in fact most of the family read it too.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Another vote for 'How it Works'.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Private Eye is currently popular here. I did make what I now see was an error in mentioning Viz to my sons, who discovered it is available online. It is hilarious, as ever, but very very rude. I've not told them I have all the back annuals in the loft.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now