What do boys really have in their pockets ... ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MedievalBabe

Re: What do boys really have in their pockets ... ?

Post by MedievalBabe »

Y7 DS has a refurb Sony Experia which we top up every month with £10. He was going to have a very old flip phone that could only be used for calls and messaging but as we knew he would need to travel on the bus we slightly upgraded his phone. He has asked for an iPhone and there is the possibility of ours when we upgrade, but he will only get secondhand.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

My son has a blackberry and so does my daughter. I have a cheap unlocked nokia to transfer their sims into and leave their blackberry at home if they are going somewhere 'rough'
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Youngest has a ten pound really uncool tesco phone. He was also given an old ex contract I phone 3 by his godfather, but only uses it at home for music etc.

I'm very keen that my children do not expect all the latest material goods and that they learn what is really important......and that not fitting into the norm is FINE!

They seem to be growing up to really believe that and my 18 year old is an inspiration on that front.....but it hasn't always been an easy journey.

I know lots of year 7/8/9 with iPhone 5....... Mine lose their coats, hats etc all the time so apart from anything else it would be kind of crazy to ask them to be able to safely look after these expensive goods too, and I worry about them being a target for mugging......
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS1 Galaxy SIII Mini on contract / DD Nokia Lumia 620 on cheaper contract / DS2 (year 6 but walks to and from school and between schools on his own) Samsung Ch@t on PAYG. He likes the QWERTY keyboard for some reason I can never fathom.

Mostly what they keep in their pocket, though, is quantities of old tissues :x
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Ok so I don't have a boy, but I do have an 11yo DD instead.
Starting secondary she got my old Nokia c1 phone with £5/month goody bag from giffgaff. She reckons she is the only one with a non touch screen phone.

She doesn't know but she is getting a Samsung Y for Christmas (£60). She has proved she can look after her phone and use it sensibly. The only thing she has asked for Christmas has been books.

Definitely wouldn't get her an iPhone. She might get our cast off iPhones if we ever get newer ones (we both have an iPhone 4) but not a new one.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Should have added that both my ds's got their phones for birthdays.

I am very keen they learn that these things cost money that their dad and I have to work hard for.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Ooh and nerf bullets, screwed up notes, elastic bands, paper clips, small bits and bobs, chewing gum, tissues, conkers et al.......
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Ds has not yet got a phone - he has not asked for one. His BF at school has an old one from his parents - very basic but he seems happy enough with it. DS has his ipad at home and says he is happy enough to skype his friends on that so why does he need a phone? It would just be something else for him to think about and the school laptop is enough.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

Really don't want to know what my son keeps in his pockets!
Just so long as he takes it out before he puts things in the wash.

DD (13) has a Samsung Galaxy Ace (previously mine) and her contract is £5 a month.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

DD still has a clam phone, ds has cheap non branded android. Both have mentioned the idea of an iphone to me but if anyone is having an expensive phone it will be me!