Charity Shoeboxes

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

Charity Shoeboxes

Post by fatbananas »

My DS has been handed a form about this at his school and is very keen to take part. I, however, have found it very difficult to think about what to put in there. I find it hard to imagine potential recipients and then become paralysed when trying to decide what to buy to put inside.

Can other people tell me what they put in their boxes; and if they know of where such boxes go?

Thank you :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Yamin151

Re: Charity Shoeboxes

Post by Yamin151 »

This is the link to operation christmas child, the website has pages which have lists of suggestions for the boxes contents.

http://www.operationchristmaschild.org.uk/landing.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hi,

You are normally given the list of options, and where they go will depend on the charity, if not ask the school.

Eg. 6 year old boy. Uk hostel. Would need toy cars, choccy, fun toothbrush, book, t shirt.

Eg.2. Teenage girl. Uk hostel, smellies, magazine, choccy, hair care.

Eg.3. Christian aid, Africa, adult. Jelly shoes, undies, writing equipment, cooking utensils.

So ask if there is a list of age appropriate suggestions relating to the chosen charity, or a link to the charity web pages. Silly to waste a good thought by posting a shoe box of Lego to a 13 year old girl.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

have a read of the site mentioned FB - explains where they go etc

also worth googling a bit about it and be aware that some people have concerns re the project as evangelical literature is added to each box

ETA - not added to the box but with it
I’ve heard that you put Christian literature into the shoeboxes before they are shipped. Is that true?
No. We have never put Christian literature into shoeboxes before they are shipped, nor do we ever intend to do so.
Is Christian literature sometimes distributed with the shoebox?
Yes, where appropriate we are pleased to be able to provide literature. A local church or Christian partner distributing the shoeboxes may issue a free copy of a Christian booklet, The Greatest Gift , which contains Bible stories, including an explanation of the true meaning of Christmas. No-one is obliged to take this booklet. It is given to a child with their shoebox, not inside it; the only person opening shoeboxes after UK warehouse checks are completed is the child
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I 'did' about 8 shoeboxes 4/5 years ago. I couldn't have read the instructions properly because I became aware (literally as they were ready to take to the central collecting point) that all the shoeboxes had to conform to within certain measurements. Mine didn't and I didn't know where to get any from at that late stage. I also became aware of the extra literature being distributed as well. The said shoeboxes have been sat on top on my wardrobe ever since as my heart has gone out if it :oops: I just wanted to 'give' - not have lots of rules, regulations and complications (although appreciate there has to be some).

It's a great idea, but somewhat spoiled/tarnished for me.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There was a long thread on this a couple of years ago, I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: here it is http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... it=shoebox" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Silly to waste a good thought by posting a shoe box of Lego to a 13 year old girl.
As a 13 year old girl I would have loved a shoe box of lego. It would have been added to my already huge box of Lego I already had.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks for the replies. It did have a list of suggested items, but I think I overcomplicated it looking at the stuff, thinking what would a 5-9 year old boy or girl really want. I think that is actually a very big age range with lots of development in between and that's what I found tricky. Practically a toddler at one end; nearly a teenager at the other.

The P*undland idea was good; geometry sets and ...recorders! :lol: Discussion about the literature accompanied or otherwise was vvv interesting. Ours is Samaritan's Purse. It states: "We always give shoeboxes to children based on need, regardless of their background or religious beliefs. It's an unconditional gift of love. Where appropriate, with each shoebox, our church partners may offer a little booklet of Bible stories. They may also invite children receiving shoeboxes to join a discipleship course called The Greatest Journey. This is a 'no strings attached' programme and participation is with the consent of their parent or guardian."
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

My son has come home with one of these leaflets - we were going to do it tomorrow. Now I'm not so sure.

It says on the leaflet "Where appropriate, with each shoebox, our church partners may offer a little booklet of Bible stories. They may also invite children receiving shoeboxes to join a discipleship course called The Greatest Journey. This is a "no strings attached" programme and participation is with the consent of their parent or guardian."

I am a Christian, but am not sure if I feel comfortable without investigating this further. I have also looked at other threads about this organisation which are quite alarming.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

There are lots of alternatives, our local rotary club collects boxes for the eastern block.
Time is running out now though for boxes, mid Nov dead line.
You can always prepar hampers, or wrap gifts for local hostels and refuges too, just give them a call to see who in residence may appreciate a gif and what type, they are in the yellow pages and you can deliver the gift to the door if you make an appointment, so you know it has arrived. (Not to the individual though, as they often need protection).