State Grammar School asking for Funds

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Booklady

State Grammar School asking for Funds

Post by Booklady »

Just curious really. Our high performing girls Bucks grammar has been, frankly, pestering us unmercifully since the start of term to get all parents to start paying a direct debit on a monthly basis of £40 per month :shock: (or what you can afford - but that is the suggested amount). This is to top up their funding which they say has been seriously cut through central government because they are high performing and in a nice area. This is the only way, they say, they can afford to offer the opportunities they do - including subjects such as drama and latin! They keep pointing out what a great education our DD's are getting 'for free'.

What do other schools ask for? Any others asking for this amount - which adds up to £480 a year. I'd be interested to know.
scary mum

Re: State Grammar School asking for Funds

Post by scary mum »

We are being asked for £180 at BGS, which is an increase on previous years. Someone told me the other day that they had heard it was per family, but I can't help but notice that I have been asked for it on Parentpay for all 3 of my children.
scary mum
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

£200 pa at Kendrick (Reading). I don't.

Have just been asked for a £100 sixth form book deposit. I don't know if 6th formers really lose more books than the rest of the school. And then when they leave we can have it back or just donate it to the school.
PROBSNAIVE

Post by PROBSNAIVE »

We have had a letter asking for funds, either a regular amount or one off payment. They have asked for the funds to make improvements to the school building, school hall, toilets, changing facilities and lockers. There doesn't seem to be a suggested amount (although I do have £10 a month in my mind for some reason) but the letter just says any amount.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

St Aidans in Harrogate ask for an annual amount of £72 (I think, from memory).

Ripon Grammar ask for a monthly contribution of whatever you can afford. We don't get pestered, letters are sent out at the start of every new school year. We decided to contribute (£10 per month), but I know the take up is a bit meh.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The grammar school that DS1 attended for years 7 - 11 got £60 a year from us (I cannot remember whether this was the suggested amount or just what we gave); the semi-selective school that DD attended in year 7 didn't ask for anything. The two of them are now at the same grammar school which (as far as I can remember -memo to self, must check bank statement :roll: ) suggests £100 a year for the first child, a bit less for the second.

Neither school involved Parentpay in this; both schools sent us Standing Order forms.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
bengali

Post by bengali »

Does anybody know if what kind of fees the Essex schools ask for(CCHS, ColCHS, WHSG etc)?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

bengali wrote:Does anybody know if what kind of fees the Essex schools ask for(CCHS, ColCHS, WHSG etc)?
DS1 and DD are currently at SHSG the school which suggests £100 / £a smaller amount for first child / sibling(s).

DS1 was previously at SHSB (where we gave them £60 pa).

No idea about the others, I'm afraid, nor whether any of the schools "pester" if you choose not to contribute.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Rubycat

Post by Rubycat »

My daughter is in year 8 at ColCHS, they asked for £30 a month, we just paid the suggested amount, because we were so pleased she got in, our next choice would have been St Marys, so a saving to us, and quite happy to support the school.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

See, I'm thinking £5/10 per month is fine, most people can manage that. Asking for £30/40 per month though, the schools must know a lot of peiple will struggle with it. I really hope those families who would struggle don't feel pressurised into paying this.

Sheesh at this rate we might as well pay independent school fees :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now