Braces

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ginx

Re: Braces

Post by ginx »

Well, it's day 2 and dd1 has got through the day without paracetamol and insists two top teeth now meet two bottom (not sure if that's true! after just two days?) so she can eat, but she's eating very mushy food and not much of it.

My older son sees the orthodontist in March, the earliest available appointment :shock: and dd2, 11, will need a brace too. I'll be used to it soon. hopefulmum2, I think I might get dd1 to take her block braces out to eat, I'm worried she'll fade away.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Hope Liitle Ginx is managing to eat a little more.
I had my wisdom teeth removed under general 10 days before Christmas, last year. Not great timing, but I was in such a state :cry: . I can personally recommend Innocent Kids Smoothies.

Ally
ginx

Post by ginx »

Ally, I feel for you, having had a painful extraction earlier this year.

Smoothies sound good. I have to admit, littleginx took her braces out to have some toast last night. She wolfed it down then put them back in, and ditto at breakfast. She can't survive on nothing. But smoothies sound good, especially as the last thing she can eat is an apple.

She looks really odd when her teeth go "back" to how they were, when she removes the braces. It's all very odd, her appearance has changed with these braces.

Thank you for the tip.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

I remember now that my DS lived on homemade banana milkshakes for the first week and I did worry that he would fade away as he was skinny to start with, but all was well in the end.

One slight issue in general with smoothies is bits which get stuck in braces and are bad news from an acid/cleaning point of view - we have removed smoothies in general, restricted juice to once a day and moved to the OJ without 'bits'.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

My daughter has blocks, can't eat anything with them in, plus does sport and trumpet, got ulcers and sores, and it was very painful at each occasion of taking them in and out all the time as well. We found bongela useless and I got some stronger stuff in the states for canker sores which helped a lot. She took some nights off at first after a terrible few days on my insistence and now is mostly ok but they are out a few hours each day.

Where do we get dental wax? Or is baby bel wax the same?
ginx

Post by ginx »

I was expecting sores on dd1's gums where I could see the wire clips over her teeth (and touches her gum).

She's doing well but I have to admit, is taking them off for food. She seems to be wearing them at night. Eating with them on takes simply ages.

We have a teacher training day today, she wants to go to Pizza Hut, not sure how she'll cope. That's about the most exciting thing we've ever done on a teacher training day. I've had to bribe dd2 who is at school today, whilst the other three are off.

Dd1 didn't take her braces off for sport, because it was gym and she said she doesn't really do much. :roll: I think she's getting there but needs to eat with them.

What happens, do her teeth sort of get pushed together so they meet? I wonder how long that will take ...
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

It was suggested that if DD drank anything vaguely sweet or acidic she used a straw. Smoothies are a bit of a challenge with normal straws but I believe you can get wider ones. She coped with the narrow ones after I accidentally bought rather too many... Six months on I keep finding wrapped straws stashed in places where they were put 'just in case'!
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

silverysea wrote:
Where do we get dental wax? Or is baby bel wax the same?
We got a recommendation for a website - can't remember the name, but there are several. But you get some wax from the orthodontist each time you visit. We got some American stuff from the website, plus various odd shaped toothbrushes.
um

Post by um »

You can get dental wax from the dentist, larger pharmacies, or Amazon.

I had my fixed braces fitted yesterday morning so now have a great deal of sympathy with ds1 who had them in July! It really is so hard to eat. I had some soft fish for dinner, and a yoghurt so far for breakfast and a soft cake for lunch (I know :roll: ).
By the end of this I should not only have straight teeth but have lost a lot of weight :lol: Can't complain too much then...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now