Nelson Mandela

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
push-pull-mum

Nelson Mandela

Post by push-pull-mum »

Because when I logged on this morning I was really surprised there wasn't already a thread about him.....
magwich2

Re: Nelson Mandela

Post by magwich2 »

He seems to have been reinvented in the same way as Gerry Adams - from terrorist to politician. Maybe he did do some good work in the later part of his life but I have a reasonably long memory and he was not always so willing to work within the law.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

And, as a mixed race person, brought up in a none apartheid, black country (Kenya), who then moved to South Africa where my parents couldn't stay in the same hotel or go on the same beaches, or even get treatment on the same hospital wards, I salute the good work he did in later life, ensuring no other confused mixed race child had to go through that. I never condone violence in any shape or form, but having witnessed first hand the reality of apartheid, and the desperation for change, I at least can understand the reason behind it. And, I am glad that he was able to forgive his oppressors as he walked out of the door of his cell and that the majority of people were willing to accept that he too had changed, because, people can.

And, to bring this back to an education forum: "Education is the most powerful weapon you can choose to change the world." Nelson Mandela

RIP Madiba. Your long walk to freedom is now complete.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

At the risk of being ridiculed, I am quite happy to say that I think violence can be justified in some circumstances... I'm not really old enough to remember Mandela pre imprisonment, so would only be commenting on what I have read, but throughout history people have risen against oppressors... We're they all wrong?!

Edit: I would like to add that I do not support violence or salute it, but I think that there are cases where I can understand why people can be driven to violence, And justify it in their own minds.. I am lucky enough to have never been in this situation.
Last edited by stroudydad on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

magwich2 wrote:He seems to have been reinvented in the same way as Gerry Adams - from terrorist to politician. Maybe he did do some good work in the later part of his life but I have a reasonably long memory and he was not always so willing to work within the law.
What a stupid comment.The "laws" were discriminatory and fascist..so would you work within these laws ?
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

:D
Last edited by sherry_d on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

Well said !
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

RIP Madiba!
Impossible is Nothing.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Hi Sherry d
No need to be so rude - there are plenty of other people out there making similar comments so there is clearly a debate to be had.

I frequently agree with many of your posts and when I don't I accept there are differing points of view.

I quite agree with the point of view that South Africa under apartheid was not an acceptable way to treat people but that does not make the level of violence there automatically ok. I do not claim to know an enormous amount about the place but I consider that completely forgetting Mandela's past and re-writing history is not the way to go.

My opinion and not yours but we can surely be courteous about the matter?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

:D
Last edited by sherry_d on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now