Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: Help with choosing new car

Post by hermanmunster »

Oh yes, Land Rover.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Our landy is an extremely useful in its resting state, I can store the hay and chicken feed in the back, and the posty always hides parcels in the front, if he misses us :lol: All men that visit salivate over it like it is a young Sharon stone on wheels, even when they are informed it has a seemingly un-fixable problem they still look at it longingly. DH takes it for the occasional off road jolly round the woods, just to keep it happy, but until our wallet flattens it will remain mostly a "piece of static art".
Amber

Post by Amber »

I feel I should come out as a disco girl at this point. I do rather feel as if I have sold my soul over it (well that and the 11+ :D ) but after several years of children complaining that they had no room in the back of whatever car we had, I googled 'best car with three teenage children' and the rest is history.

Ours also spends a lot of time on the drive but is rather useful down our single track road which is always churned up by horseboxes, whose drivers (sorry if you are a horsebox driver) just plough straight on at you with no intention of either slowing down, yielding or indeed making any kind of eye contact which might lead to either of the above, so a car that can get in and out of ditches easily is useful.

Haven't noticed anyone stopping to drool over it though; but DD yesterday bought some battery operated reindeer Christmas lights to put in it, so maybe that is about to change.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Nobody drools over a disco...although I am sure you make a difference when driving it :D
Landys need a coat of sludge green paint, and a series number to be man bait, preferably tow hooks, gun mounts, and canvas tops too!

Best disco I ever saw was one jammed in the harlequin shopping centre multi storey car park entrance...she managed to single handedly turn Watford into one big car park, and I was one car behind her. :x Apparently spacial awareness beepers do not come as standard, nor the ability for the drivers to be able to read height limits.....sorry Amber!
Amber

Post by Amber »

None taken SB3. And actually yes I can park it and reverse and parallel park it too, to answer ginx's husband. :D But I prefer our other, smaller, German car...
We have often had to lower the height to get under the height limit things - it is quite groovy to sink it down a few inches and then back up again.

A personalised number plate is somewhere I would never go. My stance on those is and has always been that if you can afford one you have too much money and should start to think of worthwhile charities. The best one I ever saw was PEN 15 which I think summed it up rather well.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Amber wrote: The best one I ever saw was PEN 15 which I think summed it up rather well.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
erm...what is a disco?
mad?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Disco = Discovery (Land Rover)

Mine's a V8 so a tank of petrol is £100 and does about 200 miles so it is only allowed one drink a month. :lol:
mad?

Post by mad? »

Thank you stevew61
mad?
talea51

Post by talea51 »

stevew61 wrote:Re: Help with choosing new car?

Ah wrong question, the correct question is which Land Rover. Remember a Land Rover is for life, the other vehicle is my crumple zone and reliability counts for nowt it is all about longevity. Your Land Rover will entertain you for years with its amazing service costs. :D
Hmmm, not a fan of the Land Rover. :shock: :shock: Does that make me a heretic? :lol:
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Amber wrote: The best one I ever saw was PEN 15 which I think summed it up rather well.
Oh :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do love a personalised number plate. Not to have of course, I don't have money for that kind of frippery, but to laugh at. Some of them have kept us amused for at least 20 seconds on the way home!