Help with choosing new car

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Help with choosing new car

Post by Amber »

Fatnorville wrote:Sorry for the rant. Very few things make me angry, but the very mention of the VW in the context of a quality product sends me into an absolute rage.
Well I'm sorry. :?
I actually have a different German car now but have owned VWs for years and never had a problem. This is the trouble with cars - everyone has a different experience of them, and your experience is only as good as your last trip out.
The Focus is another one on my list although my dh is prejudiced against Ford. For no good reason, by his own admission but there you go!
My father was the same; and my experience of them bears out that it is quite a reasonable prejudice to hold. We hired a Galaxy on a holiday in Scotland and it had 3 different bleeps - one for cold weather, one to tell you you were reversing and one when it thought you were going to hit something. Every time I got in the thing it was like the New World Symphony as I tried to reverse past the gate in the snow. That and the kids shouting 'Mum it's bleeping!' was enough to put me off Fords for life. Out of such things do prejudices arise.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I always think German cars are the best; or Swedish ones (or what used to be Swedish). I have limited experience of others because of outright prejudice and a totally closed mind (wrt Japanese and French cars) and a brief flirtation with Citroen which went well for the first couple of years and then let me down. Wouldn't touch Ford again after several really poor experiences years ago. I think cars are so personal and some otherwise very normal-seeming people I know have clearly made massive errors of judgement in the vehicle department .

We have one Swedish (about to be replaced by German) and one Japanese (sorry Amber :oops: ). We quite like the Japanese one. It is small & nippy. Although in truth I would have chosen a Golf or Polo.
scary mum
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Amber wrote:
Fatnorville wrote:Sorry for the rant. Very few things make me angry, but the very mention of the VW in the context of a quality product sends me into an absolute rage.
Well I'm sorry. :?
I actually have a different German car now but have owned VWs for years and never had a problem. This is the trouble with cars - everyone has a different experience of them, and your experience is only as good as your last trip out.
The Focus is another one on my list although my dh is prejudiced against Ford. For no good reason, by his own admission but there you go!
My father was the same; and my experience of them bears out that it is quite a reasonable prejudice to hold. We hired a Galaxy on a holiday in Scotland and it had 3 different bleeps - one for cold weather, one to tell you you were reversing and one when it thought you were going to hit something. Every time I got in the thing it was like the New World Symphony as I tried to reverse past the gate in the snow. That and the kids shouting 'Mum it's bleeping!' was enough to put me off Fords for life. Out of such things do prejudices arise.
Funnily enough Amber, we have never owned any cars other than those from the VW stable. Dh currently has a Passat and we had one previously too. He loves his Passat and he loved his previous one but the customer service from our local VW dealer has been far from stellar. So much so that dh is considering moving to another make of car for his next car. Something I never thought would happen! :shock:

For myself, I don't have strong feelings regarding any car. I liked my Altea but it had very poor visibility so I would like something with better visibility.

ToadMum, DH is also recommending the Nissan Note as an option.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have recently started driving an automatic and I have to say it is bliss. I am in love with my car now. Used to be in the 'it's just a car' camp'; but no more. :oops:

I do still cycle a lot though, to make up for it.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

What sort of driving are you likely to be doing? Your choice of engine - in particular - is likely to be decided by whether you drive many miles or few.

I currently do around 18k a year and my little 10-year-old Peugeot 206SW (i.e. and estate - and sorry Amber - have to disagree with you for once as I love French cars!) is perfect. It's small enough for parking at the supermarket but consistently does more than 60mpg and there's space in the back for loads of stuff - if required.

However, if you only do lots of short trips and few overall miles then the 1.4 diesel engine won't really warm up so probably wouldn't perform so well for you.

A colleague recently commented that he rarely sees cars on the hard shoulder these days, but if there is one it's almost always a German brand. I hadn't noticed until he'd suggested it... Take a look next time you spot a broken-down car!
vasu

Post by vasu »

I have a Toyota Prius and would totally recommend it. It is fuel efficient, user friendly and more Eco friendly. I love it.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I have a Toyota Prius and would totally recommend it. It is fuel efficient, user friendly and more Eco friendly
Vasu - Does it really do more to the gallon that my little Peugeot?

And are the batteries really eco-friendly in their production or disposal?

I'll shut up now and go away before I get too involved in this one...!
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Warks mum wrote:What sort of driving are you likely to be doing? Your choice of engine - in particular - is likely to be decided by whether you drive many miles or few.

I currently do around 18k a year and my little 10-year-old Peugeot 206SW (i.e. and estate - and sorry Amber - have to disagree with you for once as I love French cars!) is perfect. It's small enough for parking at the supermarket but consistently does more than 60mpg and there's space in the back for loads of stuff - if required.

However, if you only do lots of short trips and few overall miles then the 1.4 diesel engine won't really warm up so probably wouldn't perform so well for you.

A colleague recently commented that he rarely sees cars on the hard shoulder these days, but if there is one it's almost always a German brand. I hadn't noticed until he'd suggested it... Take a look next time you spot a broken-down car!
I've had my car for about 9 years and I have done 27000 miles in that time. So I don't do very much with it. I would like something safe as I almost always have the kids with me. I'd like something reliable for the same reason. I'd like something fuel efficient as I almost exclusively do "start-stop" type driving. I'd like a reasonable sized boot to fit all the kids stuff in. I'd like something with good visibility that is easy to park.

Other than that, I'm not really fussy. I would love heated seats. Dh has heated seats in his car and they are lovely in winter! :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

That word Prius...is it related to the medical condition priapism? Every time I see one of those cars I wonder how they chose the name.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Sounds as if you'd be better off with a petrol car then. It (and therefore you!) will warm up more quickly - with or without heated seats!

On the safety side, look out for ABS (most modern cars will have it, mine is the last year Peugeot didn't fit it in 206s by default) and a decent crumple zone between the rear seats and the back of the car.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now