Do your children 'play out'?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KS10

Re: Do your children 'play out'?

Post by KS10 »

Oh yes, rollerblading. DD loves it! She seems to be the only half-decent rollerblader on our road so tends to be in demand with the younger kids.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Gosh, I am humbled by all you guys do. And neveragain, your poor ds, how horrible, and how brave.

The rest of you are amazing, although I'm hoping there maybe one or two lurker a who have same trouble as me........? It all sounds really swallows and amazons out there,an d I said to my two today that we are going to be doing more outside play! Not sure why it doesn't happen. They sometimes have fantastic games inside, plenty of physical ones too, but they ARE quite nervous of being out on their own, in part because they are small maybe, I don't know.
Any tips?? We go out as a family, this is more about encouraging them to explore, within limits, on their own. Walking to a friends house not available yet as horrible horrible main road to cross (as in several minutes wait and no crossing), and bit too far even if I get them over that.)
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Mine don't, Yamin :) No friends in the same street and its a busy road. We have a moderately sized back garden, and DS can kick a football in the back alley if he wants. I'm outdoor-sy and would far rather be gardening than doing housework, so I spend a lot of time out in the garden and the kids go in and out as they please. Although DS has mole-like tendencies so has to be encouraged sometimes :lol:

BUT, we do have a huge park on our doorstep and once the weather improves, most free afternoons after school are spent there playing with friends - often 'til quite late on a Friday :) This summer I'll be letting him walk there on his own (hasn't before as there's a main road to cross) and calling for his mate who lives on the way there. If he's going to be travelling backwards and forwards to school by himself, I need to give him a little more freedom I think!

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Oh, I don't feel totally alone then. I am hoping to persuade them in the better weather
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Yamin151 wrote:Walking to a friends house not available yet as horrible horrible main road to cross (as in several minutes wait and no crossing), and bit too far even if I get them over that.)
If its the main road I'm thinking of, then there's no way I'd be letting an 11-year-old cross it either, Yamin. Took our lives into our hands crossing it as 6th formers!!! (We used to drink in the pub and my friend lived opposite :)).

JD
doodles

Post by doodles »

Well I don't know about playing out but our two may be moving out! We are officially the meanest parents on the planet as we have just boxed up the Xbox and it is in the attic until at least half term.

It's been an interesting day shall we say!!!!!!!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

An expensive option for long distances, but walky talkies were taken by ours into the wood until they felt (and I felt) comfy going out of range. They still use them to play with, and dh wants some long range ones for his birthday. re-chargeable is essential though...and yes I did used to say things like "mummy bear to baby bear" I wouldn't now though..I will get a very cool handle if dh gets some new sets.

Also off road remote control cars are very popular in the dels in the woods...maybe out on your fields too..again need to be re-chargeable and a big birthday present.

Mine love playing with catapults...and hated on here I know...but air soft guns(with face protection).

As far as the shop, they are allowed to scoot there with my permission. They can get to the nearest recreation ground along the lane...No roads, so they cycle, but have to have a phone in a "zippy" pocket. They also cycle to the dell's in the woods.

We also gave an allotment very close, where they have veggie patches, grow giant sunflowers and their own Halloween pumpkins (they got obsessive about them, leaving the house before school to water them) have a newt pond, a slow worm nest, and some ant colonies. Obviously we can never give the allotment up, as it would result in untimely deaths all round)

Don't think for a moment I am not neurotic mummy though, I get panicky the very minute they are late, and walk about hollering their names like a mad woman, thinking they have all simultaneously fallen from a tree and broken thenselves into several pieces, or been attacked by savage pet dogs running about in the dell's!

Hope some of these ideas inspire anyway.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

"Don't think for a moment I am not neurotic mummy though, I get panicky the very minute they are late, and walk about hollering their names like a mad woman,"

That sounds familiar!! Funny how they can go to the park for an hour and I am completely happy but the second they aren't home at the agreed time, or haven't checked in at the agreed time, I immediately have them kidnapped off or something! The joys of parenthood!
ginx

Post by ginx »

How I wish my teenagers were desperate to be outdoors. They do paper rounds and cycle 3 miles each way, along a cycle path, to school. They don't moan, but are quick to accept lifts (which isn't very often). I did feel a little guilty last week as they were soaked when they returned home.

A couple of friends of mine are horrified I let my kids cycle. Their children go by bus. I don't think it hurts my kids but they probably just think I'm mean.

The youngest would love to live outside, quite literally, he plays in the garden or cycles round the block, about half a mile, as often as he can. Some neighbours are horrified. He is 7.

I let my 11 year old go round town with a friend. Town is small and she has a phone, is sensible, and I am in town as well.

I have friends who won't let their 11 year olds out until they start secondary school and even then they are only allowed to the bus stop. I find that strange. :shock:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

JamesDean wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:Walking to a friends house not available yet as horrible horrible main road to cross (as in several minutes wait and no crossing), and bit too far even if I get them over that.)
If its the main road I'm thinking of, then there's no way I'd be letting an 11-year-old cross it either, Yamin. Took our lives into our hands crossing it as 6th formers!!! (We used to drink in the pub and my friend lived opposite :)).

JD
Ah, a nice black and white pub? We live opposite that (almost)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now