OMG March 3 - The Answer...or fresh **** of waiting list?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

Re: OMG March 3 - The Answer...or fresh **** of waiting list

Post by um »

Thank you :)
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

We stopped because both were offered a place in the nearby good primary- academically looking back both would have achieved more at home and been more confident academically, but they were missing the social side of plenty of same-age kids school provides, which was taking time to sort out and a huge amount of driving and expense to get to things/groups that the new to us and small town just didn't have.

I kind of regret that our experiment ended so soon, but really it didn't come naturally to me either. I spent every waking hour either doing work with them or planning their work and social events, we didn't settle into it fully in the 4 months despite planning it carefully for months beforehand. Sometimes they ask to return to homeschooling but usually a new event at school drives it out of their head ! And I need time to be me, not purely mega-mum.

No doubt we could have got better with time.
um

Post by um »

We are only 2 months in. Daughter will go to grammar in September so I'm enjoying some special time with her. Fortunately her study is very self directed and she has maths, science, French and Arabic tutors who set her homework.
The little one attends a montessori collective three days a week and is only 4 anyway, so I don't worry too much about him as he's making a lot of progress in his own way. It's the 6 year old I worry about. He's asperger's and part of me feels he is making better progress in the home environment but another part wonders if, long term, the structures of a small, caring school might suit him better. We are lucky in Birmingham to have a lot going on for homeschoolers though.