Teacher working hours

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Teacher working hours

Post by moved »

I've been out of the classroom for a couple of years so I accept that I'm out of touch but I'm surprised about the hours that the teachers in my schools work.

Is it now normal to be in work for 10-12 hours per day and work at weekends?
Hajra

Re: Teacher working hours

Post by Hajra »

Yes that seems about right !
moved

Post by moved »

I leave between 7 and 8pm and there are often still teachers in the buildings.
Angelcake

Post by Angelcake »

Most of ours (primary) seem to be in until 5.00/6.00, depending on whether they have DCs of their own, and tell me that they spend a lot of their evenings, weekends and holidays working.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Definitely!
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I'm in school 8-6 everyday. Then at least 2 more hours at home. All day on a Sunday.

I take Saturday completely off!

All my colleagues are the same :?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

My two friends work 8.30-5.30 and reckon they do an extra hour an evening, unless there is a theme week, or inspection. Neither of them work for school weekends, except collecting things together on a Sunday. In fact one of them does private tutoring at weekends. They are both good teachers. My other two friends are head and deputy head of schools, again, nothing at weekends, they do stay in school until 6pm and start at 8am though.

Perhaps it is to do with country school v town school, as they all four work in small local schools.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Emails have made it far worse imho because you can receive several 'requests' from various people who all think that you have the time to do everything immediately. In the past, staff had to wander about the school for a bit in search of others which in turn gave teachers some breathing space. Obviously, there are other issues too, but I find that nowadays expectations aren't always reasonable.
moved

Post by moved »

southbucks3 wrote:My two friends work 8.30-5.30 and reckon they do an extra hour an evening, unless there is a theme week, or inspection. Neither of them work for school weekends, except collecting things together on a Sunday. In fact one of them does private tutoring at weekends. They are both good teachers. My other two friends are head and deputy head of schools, again, nothing at weekends, they do stay in school until 6pm and start at 8am though.

Perhaps it is to do with country school v town school, as they all four work in small local schools.
So there is still hope!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I know two teachers. They both work in secondary and they are usually home by around 4.30 (they have a 20 minute commute). One puts extra hours in on a weekend/evening when needed, the other doesn't.

I guess it also depends on which subject you teach, together with how much effort you put into it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now