Work Experience for 16 Year Old

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sportsmum

Re: Work Experience for 16 Year Old

Post by Sportsmum »

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check this web site out as it may help answer some of your questions - but note that it states local council education services will have more information according to its local bylaws.

If I remember rightly - NI numbers were issued several months before 16th birthdays so you may find that it's ok.

But as mentioned before, company insurance may exclude under 16s from certain companies.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Some charity shops will take them under 16 for voluntary work; it's worth asking as they do vary. My son (year 10) is volunteering in a charity shop in the high street for a couple of hours each weekend at the moment as part of his bronze D of E. He had to have an interview of sorts and I had to fill in lots of forms as he's under 16.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Having gone through this last year with DD I can relay to you how very hard it us for anyone under the age if 16 to get a job, it's hard enough for qualified adults to get jobs these days so 14/15 year olds really do suffer and whilst they shouldn't show age duscrimination towards applicants, employers do.

I have even found websites stating no-one under the age if 16 will be considered, and this was specifically for Saturday jobs.

NI numbers are issued about 6 weeks or so before the young person's 16th birthday.

DD's been employed in her Saturday job for almost 6 months now. She loves it and has learnt so much from it. Not just about time keeping and team working (which she had learnt from outward bound courses and wearing a watch :lol: ) but she has been on food hygiene courses, learnt to use a till, how to interact with customers and take orders from managers.

If you 'know someone' then you might be lucky but otherwise DC's might find looking for paid employment a long hard slog.
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

Thanks for all the replies. DS is 16 years and and 2 months old, goes to Tiffin and is expected to score straight As in his GCSE exams later this year. Has excellent track record of co-curricular activities and participation in sports etc, has traveled as well (twice to the US with his class and once to France) so has a lot to put on his CV. He is planning to study Maths, Statistics, Economics and French for his A levels (also at Tiffin School) and is interested in banking. There are some unpaid placements available in banks but closing date for application was in January. We were not going to be bothered about the work experience but now I am dreading the long summer months of inactivity and laziness. I think I should speak to my boss and get him some experience at my own place but would like him to go through the tasks of looking and applying for jobs first.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Why not get him to use his entrepreneurial skills and put out flyers advertising mowing, car washing, dog walking amongst friends and neighbours? Triple whammy of him finding the work himself, earning a bit of dosh AND getting out of the house into the fresh air!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now