Music Theory - Tutor

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: Music Theory - Tutor

Post by Amber »

DD went from a standing start to Grade 5 theory in 11 lessons with a friend of mine who is also a great music teacher. She did have to do some work at home but it wasn't onerous (I think she was y7 so not much else going on) and once you've done it, you've done it and can get up through the grades - though like your DD, mine decided to stop taking music exams and just play for fun. Maybe look for someone else - I know someone fabulous but I think you're a bit far away, sadly.
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

Having music theory does help with the GCSE, and my DC's experiences are with two different boards. Unfortunately, they both have/had lousy music teaching in school: the elder one found it extremely helpful to have the theory; the younger feels he would benefit if he could remember it... So, perhaps only much use if done near to the GCSE.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Having music theory does help with the GCSE
This wasn't our experience as I said on the previous page -
dyslexichelpneeded

Perhaps he was blessed with an excellent teacher.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I'm not sure how much overlap there is between music theory and GCSE music - teacher at DS's school seemed to think not a lot. Music GCSE quite hard work I gather, but work of a particular kind (lots of performance and composition I think).
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I've been avoiding replying because DD decided earlier on, just a few hours after I first started this thread, that she now wants to do grade 6 in November and increase her theory lessons to twice a week :oops: . The tutor suggested this last night and, needless to say, she was as adamant as I was that **** would freeze over before that would happen.

This morning, she had a lesson with an accompanist we've been to before. Her violin teacher does not play the piano, so we do this whenever DD feels that she needs it. She is now in agreement with her theory teacher that she does indeed need two theory lessons and no violin lessons for a while, but she also wants to see the accompanist once a fortnight.

Part of me wishes I hadn't posted because it seems like a lot of drama over nothing, but part of me is glad because I now know that there are other ways and if she ever goes into complete meltdown I'll be able to show her the various options suggested by you.

push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

KS10 wrote:I've been avoiding replying because DD decided earlier on, just a few hours after I first started this thread, that she now wants to do grade 6 in November and increase her theory lessons to twice a week :oops:
:lol: Sounds like my DD - no interest at all in her theory lessons (rather lack lustre group affair at a local music centre) until she decided she wanted to take another exam and then she covered everything in a matter of weeks.

Remember - if she wants to take the practical exam in November she has to take Grade 5 theory this summer :D
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted by Loopy.
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Loopy
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I repeat, grade 5 theory is NOT necessary, a jazz grade 5 is fine and is alternative route.
dyslexichelpneeded

Trinity board does not require theory, and is indeed an alternative route. The player should look at the different syllabuses for the instrument they play, and see what appeals.

My DD, sitting next to me right now, is insistent that knowledge of theory was very helpful in composition at GCSE.