Book suggestions for Tolkien/ Eragon fan

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kit

Book suggestions for Tolkien/ Eragon fan

Post by Kit »

Just that really, any ideas please?
Last edited by Kit on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Re: Book suggestions for Tolkien/ Eragon fan

Post by scary mum »

No, but watching with interest...
scary mum
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Anne McCaffrey dragon series ? Old but good.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Clan of the Cave Bear (going back a bit further!) series; the Manda Scott Boudica novels; was just listening to Lindsey Davis on Woman's Hour talking about her Falco series; maybe even something like Dune for a sci-fi angle; Caroline Lawrence's Roman Mysteries if she hasn't already read them - start off fairly young (though still a bit gruesome!) but apparently get more teenager-y; Robert Harris has written two or three Roman era books.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

When I was about her age I loved this book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Those-About-Die ... 0345242408 - which is probably, as my teenagers would say, highly inappropriate, but utterly fascinating.

And of course there's all the actual legends themselves. I've been watching the Vikings tv series and would like to learn more about that mythology.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

If she liked The Hunger Games she may like Divergent and the Gone series.

On the Myths and Legends theme would Percy Jackson / Kane Chronicles be any good or are they too young?

Or the Book Theif? Or The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon maybe (or shadow of the wind)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

kittymum wrote:If she liked The Hunger Games she may like Divergent and the Gone series.

On the Myths and Legends theme would Percy Jackson / Kane Chronicles be any good or are they too young?

Or the Book Theif? Or The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon maybe (or shadow of the wind)
DD loved the Hunger Games and has just enjoyed Divergent. DS enjoyed the Hunger Games and hated Divergent! Percy Jackson probably a little young for my DS. Gone was a huge hit in this family.

I tried to get the Clan of the Cave Bear books for DD a couple of years ago & struggled a little (I loved them when they came out, although thought they became a little silly as they developed). They may be available again now - there seemed to be loads of them.
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

My dh has been a big Tolkien fan all his life, and read hefty novels as a child, I can tell you that he soaked up Steven king as a teenager and an adult, maybe a little old for her, but she could start with the novella "the body" (stand by me), and see what she thinks, I think with Steven king the graphics are left to the imagination to do the work far more than with some thriller/horror books. Also historical novels seem to capture him, such as Bernard Cornwell books.
There is also Terry pratchett of course, I remember him devouring all of those when we first went out as youngters..*****years ago. :lol:
Last edited by southbucks3 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kit

Post by Kit »

Some great ideas, thanks!
Last edited by Kit on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Just to add, dh has told me that king wrote the fantasy book "the eyes of the Dragon" for his 14 year old daughter! He mumbled something about the dark towers series too.

Carrie is of course about teenage girls too.