Book suggestions for Tolkien/ Eragon fan

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vasu

Re: Book suggestions for Tolkien/ Eragon fan

Post by vasu »

logic32 wrote:Hi Um,

I would start with 'The Farseer Trilogy' Book 1 : Assassin's Apprentice Book 2 : Royal Assassin Book 3 : Assassin's Quest.

Although this is a stand alone trilogy there is another follow on series with many of the same characters. This is called 'The Tawny Man' Trilogy
Book 1 : Fool's Errand Book 2 : The Golden Fool Book 3 :Fool's Fate

I think she has also written a new book going into more depth about this world but I wouldn't recommend that until these 2 trilogies have been read.

There are another 3 completely separate trilogies, 'The Soldier Son', 'The Liveship Traders' and 'The Rainwild Chronicles' all good, but these were definitely the ones we enjoyed most.

Hope this helps
My son would love these mentioned books but romance or a tad ******** content puts him off. He is 13. Can he read these books? I cannot make out from the amazon review about the age rating.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... Games.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This article suggests books for those who,enjoyed The Hunger games
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Hi Vasu,

These books are written for adults, but really don't have too much romance or s*x and certainly nothing explicit. My ds too would have balked at that !

I suppose it's more the theme itself which is grown up. ie : the main character is an illegitimate son of royalty, and is trained as an assassin so there is some violence in there, but again in my opinion, nothing explicit and certainly not as violent as the Hunger Game books.

They are just great fantasy books set in an imaginary olde world, not a dystopian future !

P.S. Having looked at the list pheasantchick posted I would also recommend the Patrick Walker Chaos series. These are for teenagers.
um

Post by um »

Thank you logic32 - sounds like dd and ds1 would like these.
vasu

Post by vasu »

logic32 wrote:Hi Vasu,

These books are written for adults, but really don't have too much romance or s*x and certainly nothing explicit. My ds too would have balked at that !

I suppose it's more the theme itself which is grown up. ie : the main character is an illegitimate son of royalty, and is trained as an assassin so there is some violence in there, but again in my opinion, nothing explicit and certainly not as violent as the Hunger Game books.

They are just great fantasy books set in an imaginary olde world, not a dystopian future !

P.S. Having looked at the list pheasantchick posted I would also recommend the Patrick Walker Chaos series. These are for teenagers.
Thank you so much. Will order these tonight.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
Musicgirl

Post by Musicgirl »

The Mary Stewart trilogy starting with The Crystal Cave is excellent. It's the story of Merlin.

Also the Terry Pratchett series following Tiffany Aching-Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, I Shall Wear Midnight.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now