Wide fitting shoes / trainers /sandals

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

semb

Wide fitting shoes / trainers /sandals

Post by semb »

Hello
Hoping to pick up some pearls of wisdom from somebody!

Dd2 has very wide feet (measure an I width) but small feet in terms of length. It is a constant struggle to find any footwear that fits her. I've never managed to find anywhere that actually stocks an I width shoe and so usually we have to go up by half a size in order for an H width in the next size up to fit. However, as soon as these are too tight we have the same problem again as usually her foot hasn't grown sufficiently in length for her to go up by half again, and yet the shoe will be pinching her in terms of the width.

Currently her school shoes fit but I am having real trouble finding a replacement for her trainers which are now too tight, but nothing stocked by Clarks, Start-rite etc fits.

I dread summer footwear too as it seems sandals only come in the standard F width (the reason being as they have adjustable width it is assumed they will fit everyone if the length is right). Unfortunately this is not the case with Dd as once the sandals have been opened to get her foot in, there is not enough strap left to do up over her feet.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions at all about how to get footwear for such a wide foot, I would be extremely grateful! (We have tried all the boys styles on too as they seem to be a rounder style but even these were no good).

I'm not hopeful, but just thought I'd ask....
southbucks3

Re: Wide fitting shoes / trainers /sandals

Post by southbucks3 »

What length size are her feet?

Thinking marks and Spencer's footglove wide fitting, which start at size 3? Maybe a bit frumpy but worth a look.

My sis has short square feet,...mine are long and narrow, chalk and cheese in every other respect too!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have very wide feet ( but narrow heels) and can't get footglove shoes on!
Some Padder shoes fit, but it depends on the style.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I have very wide feet ( but narrow heels
Triangle feet!

I will ask sis what she does, I know she wears men's hiking sandals two sizes too long during the summer. (Not a good look really).
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

http://www.keenfootwear.com/gb/en/wall/shoes/kids" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am a huge fan of keen footwear - unfortunately I cannot often find them in shops. The best selection is on this online store but if you find something suitable it is often worth looking on ebay.

The kids sizes are comparable prices to startrite/clarks/ geox. My DS has wide feet (H) and flat! and these work well for him - he has happily worn the same pair of size 5 shoes for about a year - I have had to replace them with size 7 mens alamosa but at least we get plenty of wear from them. The sandals are brilliant - I have 3 pairs and live in them in the summer -the bungee elastics mean the fit can be adapted easily.
Last edited by DC17C on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

K-Swiss trainers are wide fitting, I have same problem with both children
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Another vote for Keen :)

I've got wide feet and have got a pair of Rocket Dog Jazzin pumps which are plenty wide enough and go down to a 3 if she's in adult sizes.

This http://www.shoesforkids.co.uk/ is a site that seems to sell off cheaply mostly Clarks shoes and you can search by width. Might not have any her size at the moment, but might be one to keep an eye on and buy when they appear!

Good luck.

(I remember one dispiriting afternoon when 7/8 year old dd2 was an H and we went in every shoe shop in town and nowhere had boots to fit her. It's miserable for them.)
TigerMum

Post by TigerMum »

Well, if it's summer sandals for kids then I would wholeheartedly recommend Crocs. Super comfortable (esp for wide feet I find! ), super practical. But I guess it depends on the child's age as to whether she would tolerate wearing something like that, they may not be stylish enough for some :)
semb

Post by semb »

Wow, thank you so much for all of your replies - certainly gives me a number of leads to pursue!

dd2 is not quite a 13 in length and I in width so currently the school shoes are 13 and a half H. Hopefully there will be more options for her when she gets to size 3 plus and can look at adult shoes.
aliportico wrote:(I remember one dispiriting afternoon when 7/8 year old dd2 was an H and we went in every shoe shop in town and nowhere had boots to fit her. It's miserable for them.)
I agree completely. This is our usual experience. Her feet are actually gorgeous but she gets more and more dejected as we try shop after shop with no luck. Comments from older sibling about Dd2's problematic feet don't help either!

I'm off to research the various websites.....thanks again :)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Having spent two hours on the last day of the hols searching every shop in wycombe, then two hours on Thursday after school searching every shop, warehouse shop and supermarket in aylesbury for ds2,my heart is with you!

His problem is triangle feet, and also bloo*y mindedness....I think the reality was, he would rather wear bright red trainers to school than school shoes. "They are so cool, can I have them."

Finally we found a pair under the £69 that he wanted me to pay (he is size 7) in good old marks and sparks, at 5.55pm for £32. They were a bit snug across I am sure, but by that stage I would have bought him ballet slippers and he seems happy with them now. I am not convinced they were not one of the first pairs he tried on on Tuesday in wycombe though. :evil: although he says they hadn't got his size there.

The low point was me slamming a pair of perfectly fitting, perfectly reasonably priced hush puppies, that "look weird with my trousers," down on a shelf and calling out "right that's it, you can wear your plimsolls" :oops:

Ahhh I feel better for that moan, thank you epe. :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now